Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced Motor Vehicle Mechanic and Trainer

Have a 2003 chevy express van 3500 and starter will not start.

Have a 2003 chevy express van 3500 and starter will not start. All power seems to go out when key is turned to start vehicle but I don't hear starter starting. after you release key you hear a slight relay sound. Tried it in neutral and all the gears but made no difference. I do have a warning light on the impact bag but that has been on for a while. Battery seems to be up to par also. Looking for good input to troubleshoot

Do you have access to a digital voltmeter and a testlight?

What is the battery voltage key on engine off? Turn the key to the start position and tell me what the voltage is now...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Voltage is 13 volts both ways. I didn't see any change but did hear a sound like the release of air? up near the brake master cylinder area

Not sure you got my answer?

Hello again

Which engine is in your truck? I'll assume it's equipped with an automatic transmission.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
vin # XXXXX vortec 6000 v8 gas engine with automatic trans

Thank you.

Ok, there have been problems with starter relays. Do you need a relay box diagram?

The starter relay in the underhood fuse block connects the purple wire on the starter to the feed available at FUSE IGN A (FUSE 49) 40A in the underhood fuse box.

It does this when feed from the ignition switch (which passes through the ENG 1 fuse (fuse 23) is available to the starter relay and ground is provided through the starter enable relay control circuit in the PCM .

The pcm provides ground on this circuit when it sees the start signal from the ignition switch. This start signal can be checked at the CRANK fuse (fuse 27).

Check these points while cranking and get back to me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have 12 volt to the relay on the coil side and the power side on the pins to ground and when key is turned to start I get the gound and 12 volts accross the 2 pins to the relay

did you get this reply?

Hello again.

Can you test for voltage at the purple wire on the starter motor ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Replaced relay and starter--starter solenoid was the trouble
Glad to hear that you're back on the road.