Pragueress
Pragueress, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified technician; 25 years experience as an automotive instructor
13997640

1995 Chevy: Silverado 350 V8 stumbles and hesitates..runs fine..stall

My 1995 Chevy k1500 Silverado 350 V8 stumbles and hesitates when i take off from a stop, it idles fine and runs fine after its moving but off the line it seems like it almost wants to stall. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but it seems to crank over a few to many times on start up than it used to... i would appreciate any advise, thanks

The two most common causes of hesitation on these vehicles are Throttle position sensor and MAP sensors. Both can be checked with a lab scope, but aon a truck this old you have to weigh whether the money is better spent on two new components rather than testing costs.

if the fuel filter is more than one year old a new fuel filter would be a smart maintenance item as well.

if none of this solves your problem, then the truck will need to be scanned to see what is happening when it hesitates.

Please hit the accept button and let me know if i can be of more help

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

these parts run pretty cheap, under $100 for both, is this a fairly easy repair or to much to handle for a do it yourselfer like me, i used to do autobody so i know my way around under the hood a little bit

Yes thats correct. An hour of diagnostic time would cost more than that and it won't hurt to freshen up 14 year old parts

Please hit the accept button or JA won't pay me and let me know if i can be of any more help

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
On a cold start it doesnt seem to hesitate or stumble until the engine warms up, do you still think it would be these sensors? Im getting ready to go buy them soon and just need the heads up. Could you tell me the round abouts where the MAP sensor is located, i know where the TB sensor is but no idea about the map and on a 1-10 scale how hard the install is and if i need special tools.

I will give and acept bonus on top of what i already gave if you can answer these questions for me, thanks

Sorry for the delay. I was off line for awhile.

An engine runs richer when cold and that will prevent hesitation in itself.

Two screws and a vacuum hose is all that is involved with the MAP sensor. Its usually on the firewall, or sometimes mounted on the air cleaner

Tyank you for the accept and let me know if I can be of any more help