Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

My truck died while driving down the road..wont start..engine turns

My truck died while driving down the road. Now, it won't start. The engine turns over fine. I checked all the fuses and relays. Is there an easy way (for a non-mechanic) to see if the fuel pump is working?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 5 years ago.

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Mr.GoodWrench

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
122000 miles
6 cylinder engine

There are a few things you can check, have someone turn the key on and listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump turn on, which is located in the gas tank. If you can not hear the fuel pump turn on try hitting the bottom of the gas tank with your fist or a rubber mallet in the center of the tank while someone tries to start the truck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if I do hear it running, and it still doesn't start?

If I don't hear it running, I smack the center of the fuel tank.
If it runs, then, should I be worried about getting it replaced?

If it still doesn't run, what should I check?

Try spraying starting fluid in to the throttle body and see if it starts. If ot starts than the pump may not be pumping.

If you do hear it running you check to see if it is getting spark by removing a spark plug wire from a spark plug laying the tip of the plug wire next to a metal object on the engine

and have someone crank the engine to see if you get any spark.

If it starts after you smack the tank then you will need a fuel pump and I would also change the fuel filter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the throttle body?

The throttle is what the air intake hose connects to on the engine, here is a picture:

graphic

Have someone push on the gas pedal then spray into the throttle body, reinstall the hose and try to start the truck.

Daniel Jones,
Experience: GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC