Billy
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector
12771247

2003 tahoe: it in gear, the right rear door is ajar light comes on

Customer Question

I have a 2003 tahoe. When I put it in gear, the right rear door is ajar light comes on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer.

You will need to check the door ajar r/r door ajar switch adjustment and perform the function test. Also need to check the door adjustment to make sure it locks properly.

best regards,
Billy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you advise the process for the function test? I took the latch out of the door today and didn't really see any way to take anything apart. I cleaned what I could but it still has the same message come on.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
hello again,

Here are the schematics for the door jamb switches on your vehicle, the one for the r/r door is controlled by opening and closing a ground circuit. This signal goes to the bcm and from there to the information center. You need to make sure the switch is working correctly every time you open and close the door. It is possible that you will need to replace the latch/switch assembly if you can't see anything wrong with it, but first test the circuit with a test lamp or multimeter. Make sure the circuit opens and closes with the door opening and closing.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click the ACCEPT button. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome.
Best regards,
Billy.

Object Number: 884174  Size: FS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I may have a different problem. I replaced the latch and it didn't fix anything. The door closes better now, but the light still stays on. Also, the DRL's don't work, the radio setting for Talk or Custom has to be set everytime the station is changed and the dome light will not come on when the doors are open unless you push the override button on the dash. There was also a code 1638 in the system.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
hello again,

here is the diagnostic chart for DTC P1638. However I would just clear the code for now and check if it resets. I don't think it affects the dome lamp system.

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

1

Did you perform the Engine Electrical Diagnostic System Check?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Electrical

2

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. With a scan tool, observe the GEN - F Terminal parameter in the PCM data list .

Does the scan tool indicate that the GEN - F Terminal parameter is within the specified range?

5-95%

Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Go to Step 3

3

1. Turn ON the ignition, leaving the engine OFF.
  2. Connect a test lamp to battery positive voltage and repeatedly probe the generator field duty cycle signal circuit in the harness connector while monitoring the Generator PWM on the scan tool.

Is the Generator PWM display affected?

--

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 4

4

Test the generator field duty cycle signal circuit for a short or open.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 6

5

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the generator.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Charging System Test

6

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the PCM.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 7

7

Important: The replacement PCM must be programmed.

Replace the PCM.

Is the action complete?

--

Go to Step 8

--

8

1. Review and record the scan tool Failure Records data.
  2. Clear any DTCs.
  3. Operate the vehicle within the Failure Records conditions as noted.
  4. Using a scan tool, monitor the Specific DTC info for this DTC.

Does the scan tool indicate that this DTC failed this ignition?

--

Go to Step 2

System OK

Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

As for the dome lamps, If you are really good with todays electronics and have a quality scan tool on hand that can read body data, then I can provide you some information on the wiring. However if you are not sure please, you are better of taking the vehicle to a capable repair shop. Please let me know which way you wanted to go about this. The diagnosing could be time consuming and without the proper tool or knowhow a "waste" of you time and money.

Sorry I'm not trying to be rude but I'm merely trying to tell you what you are getting involved with.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, I know. My dad has a modis and also the snap on scanner. He reset the code, but we haven't checked to see if it came back on. Any more info is appreciated. I know I ask a lot of questions, but I think a bonus may be in your future.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
hello again,

Ok then, here is the diagnostic chart for you. You will need the scan tool to be connected. Scan for body cades and data. If there are body codes, follow those first. Need to monitor BCM and door module data as per the chart to find out which switch or door module doesn't transmit signals. You will mostlikely will have to check all inputs to the BCM later on.

1

Did you perform the Lighting Systems Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Lighting Systems

2

Verify that the courtesy/dome lamps are inoperative.

Do the courtesy/dome lamps operate normally?

Go to Step 3

3

Are all courtesy lamps inoperative?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 4

4

Test the voltage supply and ground circuits of the inoperative lamp for an open or high resistance.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 16

Go to Step 14

5

Are the courtesy lamps inoperative from a specific switch only?

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 11

6

Inspect the following related body control module (BCM), driver door module (DDM), passenger door module (PDM) data parameters, and check for a ground signal on the liftgate ajar signal circuit of the BCM with the liftgate open. for typical values and definitions:

The courtesy lamp switch
The interior lamp defeat switch
The door ajar switches

Was a problem found?

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 10

7

Disconnect and test the switch of the affected input circuit for proper continuity in the open and closed positions.

Is continuity correct in both positions?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 9

8

Test the signal and ground circuits of the affected input circuit for the following conditions:

An open
A short to ground
High resistance

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 16

Go to Step 10

9

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the affected switch.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 16

Go to Step 12

10

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the module in the affected circuit.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 16

Go to Step 13

11

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the BCM.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 16

Go to Step 15

12

Replace the switch in the affected circuit.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 16

--

13

Important: Perform the setup procedure for the replacement module as applicable.

Replace the module in the affected circuit. Refer to the appropriate replacement procedure:

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 16

--

14

Replace the inoperative bulb.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 16

--

15

Important: Perform the setup procedure for the BCM.

Replace the BCM.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 16

--

16

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 3

Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Experience: Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.

best regards,
Billy