GM_MASTER_DENNY
GM_MASTER_DENNY, GM and ASE Master Tech/Shop Foreman
Experience:  Over 15 years experience in automotive repair. GM Mark Of Excellence Winner for several years.
14081360

how do i change a thermostat on a 2001 chevy impala

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM_MASTER_DENNY replied 5 years ago.
Which engine do you have? If you're not sure, post the VIN number.

Here are directions for 3.4L

Thermostat Replacement

Removal Procedure

-Tools Required

• J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

1. Remove the air cleaner intake duct.
  2. Partially drain the cooling system.
  3. Use the J 38185 in order to reposition the hose clamp from the water outlet housing.
  4. Remove the radiator inlet hose from the water outlet housing.
  5. Remove the exhaust crossover pipe.

1. Remove the water outlet housing bolts.
  2. Remove the water outlet housing and the gasket.

1. Remove the thermostat.
  2. Clean the water outlet mating surfaces.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the thermostat.

1. Install the water outlet gasket and housing. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the water outlet housing bolts.
    • Tighten the water outlet housing bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
  1. Install the exhaust crossover pipe.
  2. Install the radiator inlet hose to the water outlet housing.
  3. Use the J 38185 in order to reposition and install the hose clamp to the water outlet housing.
  4. Install the air cleaner intake duct.
  5. Fill the cooling system.
  6. Inspect for leaks.

Here are directions for 3.8L

Thermostat Replacement

-Tools Required

• J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers Removal Procedure

1. Remove the fuel injector sight shield.
  2. Partially drain the cooling system.

1. Remove the water outlet housing bolt and stud.
  2. Remove the water outlet housing and gasket.
  3. Remove the thermostat.
  4. Inspect and clean the water outlet housing mating surfaces.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the thermostat.
  2. Install the gasket and the water outlet housing. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the water outlet housing bolt and stud.
    • Tighten the water outlet housing bolt and stud to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the radiator inlet hose to the water outlet housing.
  2. Use the J 38185 in order to reposition install the hose clamp to the water outlet housing.
  3. Fill the cooling system.
  4. Install the fuel injector sight shield.
  5. Inspect for leaks.