GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

How do I repair broken inside door latch on 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer The only choice is to replace the inner door latch. Fortunately, that is easy. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver, a drill with a 3/16 bit, a rivet 3/16 and a trim tool. Start by removing the upper extension of the door panel. It has a single retainer. These are a 2 piece retainer. If it should break, you need to replace it. Then remove the 2 screws from the door pull. Lift up on the back edge of the switch bezel assembly and remove the connectors from the switches. Remove the bezel around the door handle. Work your way around the door and release the fasteners and then lift the door panel off. Drill the single rivet out then slide the handle assembly forward to release it. Unhook the 2 rods. install the new handle, install the rivit, replace any damaged fasteners.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to clarify. This is to replace a loose (broken) inside door release. The door release lever is now loose and just dangles. To get out of the car, I have to roll down the window and use the outside door handle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've accepted your first answer, can you please verify that this is for the inside door release handle? Thank you.
Sorry, I was eating lunch with my family. The instructions are for the inner door handle replacement. What happens is the metal that the handle is made of breaks. This would have started by having to pull harder to open the door. I would look at the condition of your door pins and bushings. Often the handle breaking and door pins and bushings worn out go together.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please accept my apologies for being impatient. I just wasn't sure if you got my reply. Thank you for your help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just re-reading your instructions. What are: 1) a trim tool, 2) a 2-piece reatainer, 3) a rivit 3/16. Sorry - never taken my door panel off.
OK, the trim tool is a small pry bar with s V notch at the end. The retainer is a part that holds the door panel on the door. The rivet is a simple pop rivet available at any hardware store.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the parts have come in, and now I am trying to replace the latch. I have taken the upper expension of the door trim off (the triangular piece). I have removed the two screws from the door pull. Now I am trying to remove the switch bezel to remove the connectors. There is a speaker connected to this bezel. How do i remove this bezel? Do I need to remove the speaker? How do I remove the bezel around the door latch? Thank you.
OK, the whole switch and speaker assembly pull out. Start lifting at the back with a small screw driver and the unit will start to pop up. Form there you can remove the connectors and set the switches aside. As for the bezel around the handle, there is 3 tabs along the inside edge that hook to the inside door handle. Using a small flat blade tool, pry these tabs slightly out from around the handle while giving it outward pressure.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alright!!! I got the door latch replaced. Now, how in the world do you get the nuts off of the screws holding the outside rear view mirror?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got it!!! Had to get a special wrench, but got the mirror swapped out. I got my door latch fixed. Thank you for all of your help and responding to all of my questions.
No problem, and sorry for not responding earlier. It was my oldest sons birthday party this afternoon.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No problem. I knew you were offline. Hope you enjoyed your son's birthday and Super Bowl Sunday.
I did enjoy it. Thanks for using JA and please reply if you need more information.