roadsidejerry
roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

93 S10: pickup..a V6 4.3 liter engine and automatic transmission

How do you remove and replace the starter on a 93 S10 pickup with a V6 4.3 liter engine and automatic transmission?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  roadsidejerry replied 5 years ago.
Hi, is this a 2wd or 4wd truck?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2wd

Hi, I am sending the instructions with some illustrations ,your starter is the one shown in illustration #4. The tip to follow, as written in the instruction,is to lower the starter to get access to the wiring. and when installing do the same ,connect and tighten the wires,then bolt the stater to the engine.

Rear Wheel Drive Trucks

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

When necessary for access from underneath the truck, raise and support the vehicle safely using jackstands.

1. On 2.5L engines, remove the brush end mounting bracket from the starter motor.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Starter mounting on the 2.2L diesel engine

1. Tag and disconnect the solenoid wiring.

If the wiring is difficult to access with the starter installed, remove the bolts and partially lower the starter for access to the wiring. If this is done, be careful not to stretch or damage the wiring.

1. Remove 1 of the starter mounting bolts, then support the starter and remove the other bolt.
  2. Lower and remove the starter from the vehicle. Be careful, as the starter is heavier than it appears.
  3. Note the position of any shims, if used, for installation purposes.

To install:

1. Position the starter in the vehicle (along with any shims which were removed) and support while threading the starter mounting bolts.
  2. Tighten the starter mounting bolts to 30-33 ft. lbs. (40-45 Nm).
  3. Engage the starter solenoid wiring as noted during removal.
  4. On 2.5L engines, install the brush end mounting bracket.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Common starter mounting for early gasoline 4-cylinder engines Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Common starter mounting on later model 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder engines

roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience: Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division