Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

2003 Chevy: the spline on the motor to line up with the transfer case

Customer Question

I am working on a 2003 Chevy Envoy, trying to change the TCCM on the transfer case. Didn't think it would be such a task but I must have missed something. I am unable to get the spline on the motor to line up with the transfer case. The 4wd light is on and the selector does not light up at all. Please help I am in a bad situation
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your vehicle I will try to assist you in any way I can to get you going again. If you were instancing a new Transfer Case Encoder Motor the new motor is usually in neutral and you have to put the transfer Case in neutral. Try Putting a wrench or channel lock pliers on the splines and turning it until you get it in neutral. You will Know it is in neutral because you will be able to turn the driveshafts while the Transmission is in park. Than you should be able to install the encoder motor.

Daniel Jones,
Experience: GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I do this will I be able to turn the spline on the transfer case where I want them and how will I get the light off on my dash?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I do this will I be able to turn the spline on the transfer case where I want them and how will I get the light off on my dash? The motor is not in the neutral location.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I do this will I be able to turn the spline on the transfer case where I want them and how will I get the light off on my dash? The motor is not in the neutral location. I tried to locate the motor with transfer case by using the switch insde. Now I cannot do anything and I have two motors that I cannot bolt up and my car is not usable

Yes, Once the system is working again with no faults the light should go out.

Sorry I made a mistake here is the correct Info :

Important: Before the motor/encoder is removed, ensure that the motor/encoder is in the 2HI position.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX asap

Your phone # XXXXX not show Up in your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where can I email you where it will show up, I need help bad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey how can I get the motor back to 2 HI I just don't know how get these two to pair up again becaus
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey how can I get the motor back to 2 HI I just don't know how get these two to pair up again because
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey how can I get the motor back to 2 HI I just don't know how get these two to pair up again because of the
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey how can I get the motor back to 2 HI I just don't know how get these two to pair up again because the
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey how can I get the motor back to 2 HI I just don't know how get these two to pair up again because of the motor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey how can I get the motor back to 2 HI I just don't know how get these two to pair up again because of t
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan can you help me out anymore because I am out of time and options

You have to disassamble the motor. I will send you the info.

What is your VIN#?

Do you Know what transfer case you have?

• Release the 4 tabs that retain the motor/encoder gasket and remove the gasket (1).
  • Remove the snap ring and washer retaining the motor/encoder rotary position sensor.

Important: Gently lift the rotary position sensor and wiring to disconnect it. The internal wires go to a connector within the motor housing. This internal wire connector does not have a locking tab and is easily disturbed.

• Lift the motor/encoder rotary position sensor from the motor shaft.
  • Disconnect the rotary position sensor from the wiring harness.

Important: Look at the motor/encoder housing where the rotary position sensor was removed from. Take note of the "Hex" in the housing where the new sensor will seat when properly installed.

•  

Important: Provided the rotary position sensor was removed, follow steps to install the sensor, otherwise proceed to installing the motor/encoder to the transfer case.

• Connect the wiring harness to the rotary position sensor.
  • Gently insert a suitable tool along side the internal wires and press down on the internal wire connector to insure the connector is fully installed.
  • Properly align the keyway of the rotary position sensor with the motor/encoder shaft as indicated by the center reference line shown in the graphic.
  •  

• Ensure that the hex on the rotary position sensor (2) fits in the hex of the motor/encoder housing (3).
  • Install the washer and snap ring retaining the motor/encoder rotary position sensor.
  • Install the motor/encoder gasket (1).
  •  

graphicgraphic
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    can you take the other side of the motor off without messing anything up? I have the motor on but it still has an 4wd light car will not move, selector 2HI is lit up and so is the N for neutral.
    No just how it is shown in the picture.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Is the motor no good if I already took the motor side off, sorry I didn't wait. will that make it out of sync

If there are brushes inside the motor it may be difficult to put it back together properly. So unless you can put it back together you will need a new motor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I never had the brushes out of it, it has one gear,a shim style washer and a 4 prong connector that is attached to the motor. The other stuff we talked about earlier still has not gone back to normal. I removed the #8 fuse and disconnected the battery. Please tell me what to do next and I will wait you know I don't.

Properly align the keyway of the rotary position sensor with the motor/encoder shaft as indicated by the center reference line shown in the picture.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Ok I did that I am going back out to install the motor, what am I going to need to do next?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    The 4wd light is still on and it is staying in AWD mode but the car does move I do not know what kind of speeds it is good for how can I get this thing so it is right? Did I even change the rite part?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Is anyone there?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Hello
    What was the original problem you were having before you removed the Encoder Motor?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    It would not go into 4wd but AWd would work. I had it scanned at a dealership and they said it was the encoder. The light has not been on at all until today. I just took it for a test drive and it is only a two wheel drive vehicle. I don't know if I need the codes cleared or how that system works. I followed the pdf you sent me on the encoder.

Will it go into 4w Lo when you try, you need to put the transmission in neutral while the truck is running. What do the lights on the switch when you change modes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    No it will not go into 4wdlo lights do nothing. On the selector the A4wd stays lit up green.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Dan what your best recommendation as a plan of attack? You have been a big big help and I will deffinetly leave you good feedback. I really hate to quit before I get this thing 100%. How pathetic I haven't work this hard on my stuff that is ten years old as much as I have worked on this turd. There is an encoder sensor, isn't there? What do you really think is going on? I am going to have to go to bed it is only 8 degrees F outside and that is where I have been doing all of this. I am tired and very confused with why it has to be so damn complicated. The best advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you very much for your wisdom and time. Take care
    I need to hit the hay to, I will research it some more and see what I can come up with for you.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Hi, Dan were you able to come up with any ideas to get the service 4wd light to go off and get the selector switch to work on the 2003 Envoy?