Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

2003 chevy malibu ignitionswitch. put key in it will not turn

2003 chevy malibu ignitionswitch. put key in it will not turn at all. it just slids in thats it...how do i take the switch out
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Ignition Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 and SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 5 in Restraint Systems
  3. Remove the accessory trim plate from the I/P carrier.
  4. Remove the instrument panel cluster from the I/P carrier.

graphic

• Remove the ignition switch bolts from the ignition switch.
  • Insert the key into the ignition switch lock cylinder. Rotate the key to the ON position.
  •  

graphic

1. If the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate, perform the following procedure:
    1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
    2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing. On the key entry side of the switch housing center punch a location on the rib (1) approximately 3/8 of an inch from the cylinder release button (2).
    3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.
    4. Using a 9/32 inch drill bit carefully drill a hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring.
    5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
    6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing.
    7. Remove any plastic flashing from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.

graphic

• Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ignition switch.
  • Release the transaxle park/lock cable retainer, then pull outward to remove the cable from the ignition switch.
  •  

graphic

• Press the ignition switch lock cylinder release plunger. The release plunger is located at the four o'clock position on the ignition switch housing.
  • Use the key in order to pull the ignition switch lock cylinder from the ignition switch housing.
  •  

graphic

1. Disconnect the pass key electrical connector from the ignition switch housing.
    2. Remove the ignition switch housing through the opening in the I/P cluster.

Installation Procedure

graphic

• Position the ignition switch housing through the opening in the I/P cluster.
  • Connect the pass key electrical connector to the ignition switch housing.
  • If you are replacing the ignition lock cylinder, you must code the new cylinder. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding.
  •  

graphic

1. Use the key in order to install the ignition switch lock cylinder to the switch housing.
    2. If the ignition switch lock cylinder previously removed was seized or would not rotate, perform the following procedure:
    1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON position.
    2. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.
    3. It may be necessary to slightly depress the release button, as the button passes by the 9/32-inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

graphic

• Connect the park lock cable to the ignition switch housing.
  • Connect the electrical connectors to the ignition switch.
  •  

graphic

• Install the ignition switch housing to the I/P carrier. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  • Install the ignition switch bolts. Tighten the bolts to 10 N.m (88 lb in).
  • Install the instrument panel cluster to the I/P carrier.
  • Install the accessory trim plate to the I/P carrier.
  • Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 and SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 5 in Restraint Systems.
  • Connect the negative battery cable.
  • Perform the Passlock(TM) learn procedure. Refer to Theft Systems Description and Operation in Theft Deterrent.
  •  

Zone 3 SRS

graphic

• Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  • Turn OFF the ignition.
  • Remove the key from the ignition switch.
  • Remove the LH I/P wiring harness junction block access panel.
  • Remove the AIR BAG Fuse from the LH I/P wiring harness junction block (3). IMPORTANT: With the AIR BAG Fuse removed and the ignition ON, the AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is a normal operation and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.
  • Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) (2) from the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil connector (1) located above the LH I/P wiring harness junction block.
  • Disconnect the steering wheel module coil connector (1).
  •  

PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS

PROGRAMMING REPLACEMENT PASSLOCK SENSOR, BCM, OR PCM

IMPORTANT:

• Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair. All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn.
    • The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures.
    • If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn passlock sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password XXXXX the BCM is replaced.
    • If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX upon receipt of a password XXXXX Once a password XXXXX is received, and a password XXXXX XXXXX a learn procedure must be performed to change this password XXXXX A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password XXXXX will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

CONDITIONS
    Use this procedure after replacing any of the following:

• Passlock Sensor
    • BCM
    • PCM

10 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
    3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
    4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
    5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
    6. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
    7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed, history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Super Mechanic, Master technician
    Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering