Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

1997 lumina: wont start..the security light..jumping..disconnecting

Customer Question

my wife's 1997 lumina won't start. the security light is flashing. i tried jumping it, disconnecting the battery ground cable for 5 min. i can jump the starter and it starts and runs for about 10 sec. then shuts off. i feel like it is in the security system, can this be bypassed or reset?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
I believe you need to hook up an alternate power source such as another battery or jumper box to the existing battery and turn the key on and wait for 11 minutes and it should reset the security lockout on this vehicle. I Have had this work on most but not all year vehicles when this happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it didnt work. i tried it twice and it didnt work. the first time i tried to start it without turning the key off, and the second i tried to start it by turning it off after the 11 min and waiting 15 sec. the flashing security light never went out.
Expert:  stin1974 replied 5 years ago.
ok, Im checking for other procedures.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have not accepted the answer because it has not worked.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried using another key?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
This is not an uncommon problem in this model. Your car uses a vats style key in which has a resistor within the key. Your ignition cylinder actually reads complete the circuit to the theft module when the key is inserted. If the resistance matches, the car will start, it not then the car will not start. This problem is commonly caused by a failure in the two small wires that come out the back side of the ignition cylinder and run down the column. Normally what happens is that these small gauge wires actually break within the conduit from all the years of turning back and forth. As I stated this is the most common failure in this system, but there are other areas that a problem could lie. There is a special tool called the interrogator that is used to diagnose this problem correctly. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i cant imagine they didnt make a way to bypass this with a code reader or SUN machine

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Sure, you can bypass this by soldering in a resistor into the wiring that runs up into the ignition cylinder. This resistor must match the resistance of the key your car is using. You can find this out, by using an ohmmeter and touching both sides of the key where the small black pellet is located. This would give you the resistance of the resistor you would need to install in that wiring. That would only work if this car is suffering from the problem I am mentioning which I can say is by far the most common to cause for this problem.