Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC

How do I program my GMC Envoy 2007 to open and close my garage

Customer Question

How do I program my GMC Envoy 2007 to open and close my garage door. I havs the device built in but I just purchased it and I do not have the manual
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 5 years ago.

Does your system have one LED or Three?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My system has 3 Led or three buttons monted in the roof area

Universal Home Remote System Operation (With Three Round LED)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B1

This vehicle may have the Universal Home Remote System. If there are three round Light Emitting Diode (LED) indicator lights above the Universal Home Remote buttons, follow the instructions below.

This system provides a way to replace up to three remote control transmitters used to activate devices such as garage door openers, security systems, and home automation devices.

Do not use this system with any garage door opener that does not have the stop and reverse feature. This includes any garage door opener model manufactured before April 1, 1982.

Read the instructions completely before attempting to program the transmitter. Because of the steps involved, it may be helpful to have another person assist with programming the transmitter.

Be sure to keep the original remote control transmitter for use in other vehicles, as well as, for future programming. Only the original remote control transmitter is needed for Fixed Code programming. The programmed buttons should be erased when the vehicle is sold or the lease ends. See "Erasing Universal Home Remote Buttons" later in this section.

Park the vehicle outside of the garage when programming a garage door. Be sure that people and objects are clear of the garage door or gate that is being programmed.

Programming Universal Home Remote -- Rolling Code

For questions or help programming the Universal Home Remote System, call 1-866-572-2728 or go to learcar2u.com.

Most garage door openers sold after 1996 are Rolling Code units.

Programming a garage door opener involves time-sensitive actions, so read the entire procedure before starting. Otherwise, the device will time out and the procedure will have to be repeated.

To program up to three devices:

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B1

1. From inside the vehicle, press the two outside buttons at the same time for one to two seconds, and immediately release them.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3

2. Locate in the garage, the garage door opener receiver (motor-head unit). Locate the "Learn" or "Smart" button. It can usually be found where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the motor-head unit and may be a colored button. Press this button. After pressing this button, complete the following steps in less than 30 seconds.
  3. Immediately return to the vehicle. Press and hold the Universal Home Remote button that will be used to control the garage door until the garage door moves. The indicator light, above the selected button, should slowly blink. This button may need to be held for up to 20 seconds.
  4. Immediately, within one second, release the button when the garage door moves. The indicator light will blink rapidly until programming is complete.
  5. Press and release the same button again. The garage door should move, confirming that programming is successful and complete.

To program another Rolling Code device such as an additional garage door opener, a security device, or home automation device, repeat Steps 1 through 5, choosing a different function button in Step 3 than what was used for the garage door opener.

If these instructions do not work, the garage door opener is probably a Fixed Code unit. Follow the Programming instructions that follow for a Fixed Code garage door opener.

Programming Universal Home Remote -- Fixed Code

Most garage door openers sold before 1996 are Fixed Code units.

To program up to three devices:

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3

1. To verify that the garage door opener is a Fixed Code unit, remove the battery cover on the hand held transmitter supplied by the manufacturer of the garage door opener motor. If there are a row of dip switches similar to the graphic above, the garage door opener is a Fixed Code unit. If you do not see a row of dip switches, return to the previous section for Programming Universal Home Remote - Rolling Code.

Your hand held transmitter can have between eight to 12 dip switches depending on the brand of transmitter.

The garage door opener receiver (motor head unit) could also have a row of dip switches that can be used when programming the Universal Home Remote. If the total number of switches on the motor head and hand held transmitter are different, or if the dip switch settings are different, use the dip switch settings on the motor head unit to program the Universal Home Remote. The motor head dip switch settings can also be used when the original hand held transmitter is not available.

Example of Eight Dip Switches with Two Positions

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3

Example of Eight Dip Switches with Three Positions

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3

2. The panel of switches might not appear exactly as they do in the examples above, but they should be similar.

The switch positions on the hand-held transmitter could be labeled, as follows:

A switch in the up position could be labeled as "Up," "+," or "On."
    A switch in the down position could be labeled as "Down," "-," or "Off."
    A switch in the middle position could be labeled as "Middle," "0," or "Neutral."
  3. Write down the eight to 12 switch settings from left to right as follows:
    When a switch is in the up position, write "Left."
    When a switch is in the down position, write "Right."
    If a switch is set between the up and down position, write "Middle."
    The switch settings written down in Step 2 now become the button strokes to be entered into the Universal Home Remote in Step 4. Be sure to enter the switch settings written down in Step 2, in order from left to right, into the Universal Home Remote, when completing Step 4.
  4. From inside your vehicle, first firmly press all three buttons at the same time for about three seconds. Release the buttons to put the Universal Home Remote into programming mode.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: B3

5. The indicator lights will blink slowly. Enter each switch setting from Step 2 into your vehicle's Universal Home Remote. You will have two and one-half minutes to complete Step 4. Now press one button on the Universal Home Remote for each switch setting as follows:
    If you wrote "Left," press the left button in the vehicle.
    If you wrote "Right," press the right button in the vehicle.
    If you wrote "Middle," press the middle button in the vehicle.
  6. After entering all of the switch positions, again, firmly press and release all three buttons at the same time. The indicator lights will turn on.
  7. Press and hold the button that will be used to control the garage door until the garage door moves. The indicator light above the selected button should slowly blink. This button may need to be held for up to 55 seconds.
  8. Immediately release the button when the garage door moves. The indicator light will blink rapidly until programming is complete.
  9. Press and release the same button again. The garage door should move, confirming that programming is successful and complete.

To program another Fixed Code device such as an additional garage door opener, a security device, or home automation device, repeat Steps 1-8, choosing a different button in Step 6 than what was used for the garage door opener.

Using Universal Home Remote

Press and hold the appropriate button for at least half of a second. The indicator light will come on while the signal is being transmitted.

Reprogramming Universal Home Remote Buttons

Any of the three buttons can be reprogrammed by repeating the instructions.

Erasing Universal Home Remote Buttons

The programmed buttons should be erased when the vehicle is sold or the lease ends.

To erase either Rolling Code or Fixed Code on the Universal Home Remote device:

1. Press and hold the two outside buttons at the same time for approximately 20 seconds, until the indicator lights, located directly above the buttons, begin to blink rapidly.
  2. Once the indicator lights begin to blink, release both buttons. The codes from all buttons will be erased.