Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
9480930

2006 Chevy Colorado: power door locks..driver side window

Customer Question

2006 Chevy Colorado, installed new battery now power door locks do not work, and driver side window. Check to see if any codes register NONE found. Was working fine before disconnecting battery, and from what I can find on the internet I am not the only person with this is problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

This happens quite often when a battery is replaced on newer vehicles with PAL type fuses.

Check fuse 42 PWR/WINDOW 30 A in the underhood fuse block for an Open, these are hard to tell if blown and must be inspected visually through the little window on the top. This fuse powers the door module and will disable both locks and window if blown.

Also check Fuse 21 Door Lock.

Let me know the results

Scott K

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tested both fuses with ohm meter both are fine...
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried the window and locks again after removing the fuses and reinstalling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, all it does is ding, ding, ding .. Nothing else
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Ding ding?

Does the vehicle crank and run?

Are the window and doors locks the only thing not working?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, engine cranks and runs, no check engine light .. Drivers side window and power door locks only thing not working
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Lets check one more fuse TBC 10 A in the under hood fuse block.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That one tests fine also
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Can you remove fuse 42 and turn the key to the "run" position and then test for voltage in the fuse block cavity terminals for fuse 42 one should have source voltage.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
With vehicle just in run position not started 10v with vehicle running 13v
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay had to put some info together for you.

The fuse is powered up correctly "receives it's power from the RAP relay"

We need to make sure the voltage is getting to the Door module from the fuse.

You might try swapping the fuse 42 with another just to make sure before you take the next step.

You up to removing the Door switch assy? It is just a couple of screws.

Switch instructions

Connector ID

Schematic

graphic

There will be a couple of connectors on the switch, the one we need to test is the one that looks like the Connecter ID above. Test for voltage on the orange wire and the yellow wire, with the vehicle on.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tested connector, with key out of ignition there is power, with the key turned on, I have NO power going to the plug on 1 and 6
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Just to clarify,

The neg lead on the meter attached to a good ground, red lead on meter to pin 1 key on, no power?

The neg lead on the meter attached to a good ground, red lead on meter to pin 6 key on, no power?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, guess I did not do that correctly the first time.

Neg lead on ground key on pin 1 has power
Neg Leg on ground key on, pin 6 has power
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

No problem,

Well we have power getting to the switch were needed.

Next step is to check the ground.

Neg lead to Pin 3 on the same connector and pos lead to pin 1.

No voltage reading = bad ground.

Voltage reading would indicate a bad switch.

It is possible the switch could have been damaged upon battery replacement.

Was the Ignition switch off when changing the battery?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, have power when touching 1 and 3 ... There is still power going to the door lock even with that connector out, I bumped the door button and it started to ding.

No, keys in ignition period when changing battery. ( I always pull my keys at home and stick them in the door pouch/slot upon exiting the vehicle since I garage my truck )

Seems to be some type of flaw since I found a forum where 17 pages of people have the same problem with colorado's and canyons.
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

The door lock fuse is powered hot at all times and perhaps a voltage spike has taken the switch out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, for taking so long ... I ordered the door switch Monday, should be here on the 30th. But in the mean time, I got a check engine code yesterday, hooked scanner to it said misfire multiple cylinder. So I did not clear the code yet,

This morning engine light still on, power door locks and window still inoperative. Went for lunch, came out started driving down the road and noticed that the check engine light went out, so for the heck of it I tried the door, and now that and window are working again. WHAT GIVES ? Why would it not work for a week then all of a sudden start ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Received new switch from dealer, disconnected battery, and installed switch. Now it is not working again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.