Carl King
Carl King, Classic Chevy man
Experience:  33 years experience in classic/muscle cars. Classic Chevy from 55-72.
5040225

I HAVE A SET OF CHEVY SMALL BLOCK 14102193 CASTING CYLINDER

Customer Question

I HAVE A SET OF CHEVY SMALL BLOCK 14102193 CASTING CYLINDER HEADS, WHAT CC AND WOULD THESE HEADS FLOW DESCENT AT ALL
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carl King replied 7 years ago.

These heads were made from 1987-99 with 1.94 intake valves and 1.5 exhaust valves. Combustion chamber size is 65CC, which would offer you the ability to get a reasonable compression ratio with flat top or slightly domed pistons. I don't want to say that these heads have good flow characteristic other than they are noted as "swirl port" heads. There are no port volume statistics on them.

Swirl port heads were on trucks and boats mostly. The swirl port design was created to provide good fuel mixing and more swirl pattern as the flow enters the combustion chamber. This improves the fuel burn rate with a more complete combustion resulting in less unburnt fuel in the emissions. The focus here was on emissions but the same rules for port swirl apply to performance engines as well.

If you use these heads for a performance engine and do any modifications to them, I recommend you take them to a professional if you want any port work done. Hopefully they use a flow bench in the process because without incremental testing the swirl characteristics can be diminished.

Keep in mind that these head castings are likely thinner than most performance heads so you're limited on how much mterial you can remove to improve flow. Consider that an old 461 casting from the 60's weighs 47lbs bare (no valves, and rockers). If you weigh each of these heads and they come in less that that, then you are dealing with thinner casting walls.

Be careful.

Carl M King