Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Parts and Service Specialist
10675526

Chevy cavalier: what size bolt holdsthe tensioner pulley on

Customer Question

sorry, i wanted to phrase the question right. what size bolt holdsthe tensioner pulley on. on a 2.2 chevy cavalier.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

The stock belt tensioner uses a 13mm bolt to hold the pulley to the belt tensioner and a 15mm bolt to attach the belt tensioner to the vehicle.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Experience: ASE Certified Parts and Service Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
apparently. you misunderstood the question you were talking about the bolts holding the tensioner on i was talking about just the pulley. but, i went and got the whole tensioner system.however, i would like to know an easy way to put the serpentine belt on a 92 2.2 chevy, since i have gotten this far, but i tried yesterday and about cut my middle finger off . then i couldn't shoot a bird.

Not a problem.

There is a tool designed for this, but you can use a 15mm wrench as well. All you need to do is put a 15mm wrench on the tensioner pulley bolt and turn it clockwise. Because of the tensioner design, turning the bolt clockwise will cause the pulley to move backwards and take the tension off of the belt. There is no need to touch the bolts that attach the tensioner assy. to the vehicle unless you need to replace the entire belt tensioner assy. as well.

I have included step by step instructions and a belt routing diagram below:

graphic

• Remove coolant reservoir.
  • Rotate tensioner clockwise with a 15 mm wrench and slide belt from generator pulley. Release tensioner and remove belt.
  • Reverse procedure to install, routing belt as shown in Fig. 22.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I ALREADY KNOW THAT I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE IS AN EASY WAY TO DO IT WITHOUT HURTING MYSELF. I HAVE THE TOOLS.

It should be pretty straight forward once you remove the coolant reservoir.

A serpentine belt tool makes it easier to do, but I have done several with a wrench. I prefer to use a socket and breaker bar because of the leverage aspect of it.

Just put the wrench on there and push. It should not take a ton of force unless you are using a short wrench. You should be able to ease the tensioner back and then remove the wrench.