Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

I have a 94 chevy 1500 Z71 extended cab with a 5.7 engine.

I have a 94 chevy 1500 Z71 extended cab with a 5.7 engine. I have to prime the engine 3-4 times to get it to keep running. After this the truck runs fine, but if it sits a couple of hours does the same thing. Is it the fuel pump or could it bee something else.
Does the fuel pump prime the fuel system when you turn the key from off to on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've tried to listen for the pump,but I don't seem to hear anything. I hear a small click in the front, but dont hear anything around the tank suggesting its priming.
Ok well this could be as simple as a faulty fuel pump relay. On your model, the oil pressure switch is a backup to the fuel pump relay. Therefore the pump will get voltage to run after oil pressure is produced within the engine. If you have access to a voltmeter I can help you verify this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont have access at the moment,but where is the fuel pump relay located, and what should it read?

The fuel pump relay is located on the passenger side of the firewall. There is also an inline fuse right next to this relay that will need to be checked also. Basically what we need to verify is that there is 12 volts to the red wire and also 12 volts to the gray wire while cranking the engine. This will power the inline fuse which powers the fuel pump. Here is a bit of the wiring schematic so that you can see how this is wired.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks,I'll check.