Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

How do i adjust the doors on my 2003 gmc sierra im getting

Customer Question

How do i adjust the doors on my 2003 gmc sierra? im getting alot of wind noise, and they rattle alot when i go over bumbs
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Door Adjustment

Important: Perform this procedure only when bolt-on replacement hinges are installed.

1. Remove the door striker. Refer to Door Striker Replacement .
  2. Loosen the door hinge to the body side pillar bolts.
  3. Adjust the door at the door hinges in the following directions:
    Upward or downward
    Forward or rearward
    Inward or outward

Object Number: 404588  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  4. Adjust the gap between the rocker panel and the door to 4.0-8.0 mm (0.16-0.31 in).
    Object Number: 404584  Size: SH
  5. Adjust the gap between the door and the roof panel to 3.0-9.0 mm (0.12-0.35 in).
    Object Number: 404582  Size: SH
  6. Adjust the gap between the rear of the door and the rear pillar to 3.0-5.0 mm (0.12-0.20 in).
    Object Number: 404580  Size: SH
  7. Adjust the gap between the door and the fender to 4.0-6.0 mm (0.16-0.24 in).
    Object Number: 404577  Size: SH
  8. Adjust the door surfaces so that the door surfaces are flush with the other panels to 1.0 mm (0.04 in).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

9. Tighten the hinge bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the hinge bolts to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

10. Install the door striker. Refer to Door Striker Replacement .
  11. Adjust the door striker, if necessary, in order to properly engage the door latch.
    11.1. Loosen the door striker bolts.
    11.2. Adjust the door striker.

Tighten
    Tighten the door striker bolts to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).