GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

How would you know if an ignition switch is bad

Customer Question

how would you know if an ignition switch is bad
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carfix4you replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1999 chevy blazer 4.3 vortec engine v6 i replaced crank sensorign module dist pickup fuel pump fuel spider also new plugs change computer two times and still wont start mileage 93963 its also driven by a very slow driver
Does the engine crank? Do you have spark from the ignition coil? Do you have a steady ground pulse to the CMFI unit? Do you havcve power to the CMFI unit. Tell me what kind of test equipment you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it cranks i do have good spark it seem to me to be very good ido have power to the cmfi unit i used a snapon ign tester
I took this question, not knowing of all the repairs done, as well as a lack of test equipment stated.I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Thanks again for choosing justanswer!
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome Andy. I can answer your question. For starting, and as it applies to the ignition switch, if the check engine light comes on and the engine cranks, your ignition switch would not be the issue. Often I see a bad switch and the way to tell is the check engine light is not on, indicating the PCM is not getting power. When you are trying to start the engine, do you hear the fuel pump? Have you tested it for pressure? I see you have replaced it, but is it running? Also, is the security light flashing when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there anyway i can call a technican and speek to him personally i can de reached at x xxx xxxx or could you send me a number so i can call thank you
It is against site rules to contact any customer/expert outside of this site. Sorry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i tryed all that was mension but still wont start is there anyway to get it started
Ok, lets start with the basics. Do you have 60-66 psi fuel pressure when the key is on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the pressure is62

Is there spark at all the spark plug wires?

Are all the fuses ok?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes

Is the security light flashing when you try to start?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the security light flashes
OK, Finally getting somewhere. HERE is the relearn procedure for the pass lock system. The security system will disable the injectors to prevent vehicle theft. If this works, you probably need a pass lock sensor that is part of the ignition housing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will try to get one it would take me a few days to get one i will have to order it i will try that and then let you now thanks for your help ill keep you inform
Were you able to perform the relearn and make it run?