Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
14582819

1990 chevy silverado 1500: wheel drive..passenger side..whats..old one

Customer Question

i have a 1990 chevy silverado 1500 series and i need to fix theXXXXXaxle on the passenger side and not to sure whats envolved on takin the old one out and replacing it with a new one
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement

Caution: Do not attempt to move vehicle with drive axle(s) removed from wheel bearing. Wheel(s) could fall off, dropping vehicle to the ground and causing personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

graphic
Insert a drift or large screwdriver through the brake caliper into one of the brake rotor vanes in order to prevent the wheel drive shaft from turning.

graphic

• Remove the wheel drive shaft nut (2) and washer (3).

Notice: Wheel drive shaft boots, seals and clamps should be protected from sharp objects any time service is performed on or near the wheel drive shaft(s). Damage to the boot(s), the seal(s) or the clamp(s) may cause lubricant to leak from the joint and lead to increased noise and possible failure of the wheel drive shaft.

• Loosen, but do not remove, the 6 bolts (1) securing the inboard C/V joint drive flange to the output shaft companion flange.
  • Remove the drift.
  • graphic

• Remove the lower shock mounting nut, washers, and bolt.
  • Collapse the shock absorber and secure if necessary.
  •  

graphic

Important: Cover the shock mounting bracket and the ball stud on the lower control arm with a shop towel in order to prevent possible wheel drive shaft boot damage during removal and installation.

• Remove the stabilizer link nut, bolt, and spacer assembly (8050 GVW and above).
  • Support the inboard end of the wheel drive shaft and remove the six bolts (1) from the inboard joint flange.
  • Separate the wheel drive shaft outer C/V joint splined shank from the knuckle assembly using a hammer and a brass drift or equivalent.
  • Remove the wheel drive shaft from the vehicle, rotating as necessary to avoid contact with the lower control arm.
  • For unit repair of the wheel drive shaft

Important: Clean and inspect the deflector ring on the wheel drive shaft and the wheel bearing seal area on the knuckle. Replace if necessary

• Inspect the deflector ring and the wheel bearing seal for nicks, dents, cuts, or tears.
  • If the deflector ring is dented or nicked, If the seal is cut or torn, replace the seal and inspect the wheel bearing for damage.
  •  

Install in reverse order.