Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer 6 cylinder and the CD player

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer 6 cylinder and the CD player locked up and will not eject the cd or power off and is was still illuminated but has since overnight drained the battery so the car will not start. I need to know which fuse on the fusebox diagram is for the radio/cd/cassette player so I can disconnect or rest after getting a jump.

HelloCustomer my name is Mike.

The 2004 Trailblazer has two fuse panels, one in the under hood and one under the middle row seats. The radio fuse is marked RADIO fuse # XXXXX and is a 15 amp fuse located in the rear fuse panel. To access the rear fuse panel flip the seat behind the driver to the upright position, under it you can see the fuse panel and a diagram should be on the under side of the cover. If there is no diagram on it let me know and I will provide the diagram that should be there.

There are quite a few reasons that the radio stayed on. One possibility is a logic lock up. If that is the case removing the power from the radio for 15 minutes should reset it. If removing the fuse for a while does not make the radio shut off there is a bulliten to reprogram the radio for the cd not ejecting. The bulliten makes no mention of it causing the radio to stay on but I have found that in some cases it can. The rest of the reasons for the radio to stay on are quite complex as there is not a direct voltage on signal for the radio in this vehicle. The on/off signal is provided by the body control module.

Below is a copy of the bulliten that I referenced. Please repost if you need the diagram of the rear fuse panel. Please ask if you have further questions.

Some customers may comment on one of the following conditions:

Long CD load-to-play time
CD ejects with an error message of "CHECK CD"
CD does not return to previous track after an ignition cycle
Clock resets to 12:00
CD does not play
CD does not eject
CD stuck in CD player
Radio will not accept CD

A software anomaly within the radio has been found.

If the customer comments that the CD does not eject or the CD is stuck in the CD player, or the radio will not accept the CD, prior to programming the radio, perform the following steps.

1. Turn off the ignition.
  2. Remove the radio fuse for a minimum of 30 seconds.
  3. Reinstall the fuse, turn on the ignition and the radio.
  4. Attempt to remove the CD by using the eject button or attempt to insert the CD.
  5. If the CD was successfully removed or the radio accepted the CD, then proceed with reprogramming.
  6. If the CD was not successfully removed or the radio did not accept the CD, then the radio must be removed for repair at an authorized Electronic Service Center.

Reprogram the radio with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 10.0 available October 3, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version. Prior to entering TIS2000, enter the VIN into GM VIS to obtain the RPO codes of the radio and speaker configuration for the vehicle. This will allow for the correct calibration selection. Selecting the incorrect calibration for the vehicle configuration can damage the radio and lead to unnecessary delays in repair time. Once programming is completed, wait at least one minute after key-off to allow the radio to accept the new calibration.

Important: TIS programming supports two calibrations for radios with the UQA amplifier on the S/T models. Prior to selecting the calibration, determine if the amplifier is class 2 or non-class 2. Use the Tech 2® and the following path.

1. Connect the Tech 2® to the vehicle and power on.
  2. Select "Diagnostics" from the menu.
  3. Build the vehicle from the menu options.
  4. Select "Diagnostic Circuit Check" from the menu.
  5. Select "Class 2 Message Monitor" from the menu.

If the amplifier appears on the class 2 message monitor screen, then the calibration for a class 2 amplifier needs to be selected. If the amplifier does not appear on the screen, then the calibration for a non-class 2 amplifier needs to be selected. Selecting the wrong calibration will result in reduced or no radio volume.

Also, please advise the customer that home-burned CDs must be burned with a "closed session" or the formatting will be incomplete and the player will not read the CD. CDs should NOT have adhesive paper labels affixed to them as the labels may lift off in the player.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you send that diagram anyway.

We are experiencing some difficulties with attatchments. If you are unable to view this please let me know and I will link to something offsite.