Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
14582819

HOW DO I CHANGE THE BRAKES ON A 2002 CHEVROLET 2500 HD?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

I will need a little more information from you.

Are you changing the front or rear brakes or both?

If you are doing the rear brakes will it also include the parking brake shoes?

Also are you going to be replacing or resurfacing the rotors?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well my 2002 2500 HD crew cab pickup with 176000 miles has fianally worn the brakes out. its a simple brake job i need to do on all 4 brakes and the pain in the ass parking brakes. i am going to pull the rotors off and take them in for turning. i just wanted a guide line to help me get this done without it being an all day affair. any info you can give me will help. im a pretty good shade tree mechanic i guess and have quite a few tools. This truck is also a diesel with the allison transmission...
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Front Disc Brake Pads Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 369668  Size: SH

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum--full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  6. Remove the brake caliper from the brake caliper mounting bracket and support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake hose from the brake caliper. Remove the disc brake pads from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  7. Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket.

Front Brake Rotor Replacement

• Remove the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts.
  • Remove brake caliper bracket as an assembly

• It may be necessary to strike the end of the hub or the rotor with a deadblow hammer to separate the rotor from the hub.
    Object Number: 370132  Size: SH

• Remove the rotor.
  • If the rotor is difficult to remove due to corrosion in the hub area use the following procedure to remove the rotor, 25 and 35 series only.
    10.1. Clean all the surface areas and the threaded holes of contamination.
    10.2. Generously apply penetrating oil or the equivalent to the hub/rotor area.
    10.3. Insert two M10 x 1.5 bolts or jack screws into the threaded holes of the rotor.
    10.4. Tighten both bolts evenly to force the rotor from the hub.
  • Installation Procedure

Object Number: 370132  Size: SH

1. Install the rotor.
    2. Install the caliper and caliper bracket assembly.
    3. Install the caliper bracket mounting bolts.

Tighten

Tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 175 N·m (121 lb ft) (15 Series).
      Tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 300 N·m (221 lb ft) (25 and 35 Series).

Object Number: 369668  Size: SH

1. Install new anti-rattle clips to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
    2. Install the disc brake pads to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
    3. Using a C clamp push the caliper piston back in
    4. Install the brake caliper.
    5. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
    6. Remove the safety stands.
    7. Lower the vehicle.

Rear Disc Brake Pads Rotor, and Parking brake Shoe Replacement (All except 1500 Series W/O NYS)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 687185  Size: SH

2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
    4. Raise and support the vehicle.
    5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
    6. Inspect the brake caliper operation. Remove the brake caliper from the brake caliper mounting bracket and support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake hose from the brake caliper.
    7. Inspect the brake caliper assembly.
      Object Number: 369668  Size: SH

8. Remove the disc brake pads from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
    9. Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  • Remove the brake caliper bracket DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
  • Remove the rotor retaining push nuts from the wheel studs, if applicable.
    Object Number: 686151  Size: SH

• Remove the rotor by slowly turning the rotor while pulling the rotor away from the axle.

Parking Brake Shoe Replacement (1500HD/25/35 Series)
  • Object Number: 791349  Size: SH

1. For the 25/35 series Disable the park brake cable automatic adjuster. Raise and support the vehicle.
    2. Remove the tire and the wheel.Object Number: 913334  Size: SH

3. Perform the following procedure to remove the cable (2) from the backing plate (4):
      5.1. Compress the spring (3) by pushing towards the lever (1).
      5.2. Depress the locking tabs.
      5.3. Pull the cable housing out of the backing plate (4).
      5.4. Remove the cable (2) through the slot in the backing plate.
    4. Remove the park brake cable (2) from the lever (1).

Object Number: 370046  Size: SH

1. Remove the park brake shoe return spring (6).
      Object Number: 913340  Size: SH

2. Remove the park brake shoe anchor springs and pins.
    3. Separate the tips of the shoes from the park brake actuator and remove the park brake shoes and adjuster assembly from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 913340  Size: SH

1. Clean the debris and the dust from the park brake components using a clean shop cloth.
    2. Install the adjuster assembly to the park brake shoes.
    3. Separate the tips of the shoes and install the park brake shoes to the park brake actuator.
    4. Install the park brake shoe anchor springs and pins.
      Object Number: 370046  Size: SH

5. Install the park brake shoe return spring (6).
    6. Adjust the park brake shoe.

Object Number: 913334  Size: SH

1. Install the park brake cable (2) to the lever (1).
    2. Perform the following procedure to install the cable (2) to the backing plate (4):
      10.1. Compress the spring (3) by pushing towards the lever (1).
      10.2. Route the cable (2) through the slot in the backing plate.
      10.3. Push the cable housing into the backing plate (4) until the locking tabs snap into place.

Object Number: 791349  Size: SH

1. Inspect the mating surfaces of the hub/axle flange and the rotor to ensure that there are no foreign particles or debris remaining.
      Object Number: 686151  Size: SH

2. Install the rotor by slowly turning the rotor while pushing the rotor towards the axle.
    3. Install the caliper and the bracket as an assembly to the vehicle.
    4. Perform the following procedure before installing the caliper bracket mounting bolts.
      6.1. Remove all traces of the original adhesive patch.
      6.2. Clean the threads of the bolt with brake parts cleaner or the equivalent and allow to dry.
      6.3. Apply Threadlocker GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) to the threads of the bolt.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the caliper bracket mounting bolts.

Tighten

For the 15 series, tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 200 N·m (148 lb ft).
      For the 25 series, tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 165 N·m (122 lb ft).

Object Number: 369668  Size: SH

1. Install the anti-rattle clips to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
    3. Install the brake caliper to the brake caliper mounting bracket. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
    4. Remove the safety stands.
    5. Lower the vehicle.
    6. Adjust the park brake cable.
    7. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of it's travel distance.
    8. Slowly release the brake pedal.
    9. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-8 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
    10. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.
    11. Burnish the brakes pads and rotors as necessary.

Matt J, Chevy Technician
    Experience: 10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer