msarles1
msarles1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  20 Years of GM experience, Service Manager, Parts Manager, GM Master Tech, ASE Master Tech
14413541

How to replace turn signal switch in 1997 chevy 1500

how to replace turn signal switch in 1997 chevy 1500
Category: Chevy
Expert:  msarles1 replied 5 years ago.

here is some brief directions from gm:

xTooltipElement Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help
1998 Chevrolet Chevy K Pickup - 4WD | Chevy Pickup, GMC Pickup, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Steering | Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 449218

Multifunction, Turn Signal, and Hazard Switch Replacement - On Vehicle

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller

1. Make sure the lever is in the center or the OFF position.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

2. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
  3. Remove the inflator module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement .
  4. Remove the horn pad assembly. Refer to Horn Pad Replacement - On Vehicle .
  5. Remove the horn switch. Refer to Horn Switch Replacement - On Vehicle .
  6. Remove the tilt lever. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement - On Vehicle .
  7. Remove the steering wheel nut.
  8. Use the J 1859-A in order to remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
  9. Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  10. Loosen the steering column bracket nuts.
  11. Remove the two TORX® head screws from the lower column cover.
  12. Tilt the cover down and slide the cover back in order to disengage the locking tabs.

Lower the column cover.

13. Remove the two TORX® head screws from the upper column cover.
  14. Remove the steering column lock set. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle .
  15. Remove the upper column cover.
    Object Number: 245826  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  16. Remove the two wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness.
  17. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer from the brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI).
  18. Disconnect the steering column bulkhead connector from the vehicle wire harness.
  19. Disconnect the gray and the black connectors of the switch from the column bulkhead connector.
  20. Remove the two TORX® head screws from the switch.
  21. Remove the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 245826  Size: SH
  1. Install the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.
    1.1. Use a small blade screwdriver in order to compress the electrical contact.

Move the multifunction switch into the position.

1.2. Make sure the electrical contact rests on the canceling cam assembly.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the two TORX® head screws on the switch.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

3. Connect the gray and the black connectors of the switch to the column bulkhead connector.
  4. Install the steering column bulkhead connector to the vehicle wire harness.
  5. Install the connector and the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer to the BTSI.
  6. Install the two wire straps on the steering column wire harness.
  7. Install the upper column cover.
  8. Install the steering column bracket nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

9. Install the knee bolster. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  10. Install the steering column cylinder lock set. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle .
  11. Install the two TORX® head screws to the upper column cover.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.4 N·m (12 lb in).

12. Install the lower column cover.
  13. Install the two TORX® head screws to the lower column cover.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

14. Make sure the lever is in the center or the OFF position.
  15. Install the steering wheel onto the steering shaft. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
  16. Install the steering wheel nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the steering wheel nut to 40 N·m (29 lb ft).

17. Install the horn pad assembly. Refer to Horn Pad Replacement - On Vehicle .
  18. Install the horn contract. Refer to Horn Switch Replacement - On Vehicle .
  19. Install the inflator module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement in SIR.
  20. Install the tilt lever. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement - On Vehicle .
  21. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.

1998 Chevrolet Chevy K Pickup - 4WD | Chevy Pickup, GMC Pickup, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Steering | Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 449237

Steering Wheel Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller

1. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system, if equipped. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
  2. Remove the inflator module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement .
  3. Remove the horn pad assembly, if not equipped with an SIR. Refer to Horn Pad Replacement - On Vehicle .
  4. Remove the horn switch. Refer to Horn Switch Replacement - On Vehicle .
  5. Make an alignment mark in order to note the relationship of the steering wheel to the steering shaft.
  6. Remove the steering wheel nut.
    Object Number: 375301  Size: SH
  7. Use the J 1859-A in order to remove the steering wheel.

Installation Procedure

1. Align the marks made during the removal procedure on the steering shaft and the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 245807  Size: SH
  2. Install the steering wheel onto the steering shaft.

3. Install the steering wheel nut to the steering shaft.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

4. Install the horn switch. Refer to Horn Switch Replacement - On Vehicle .
  5. Install the horn pad assembly, if not equipped with an SIR. Refer to Horn Pad Replacement - On Vehicle .
  6. Install the inflator module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement .
  7. Enable the SIR system, if equipped. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

msarles1, Chevy Technician
Experience: 20 Years of GM experience, Service Manager, Parts Manager, GM Master Tech, ASE Master Tech