msarles1
msarles1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  20 Years of GM experience, Service Manager, Parts Manager, GM Master Tech, ASE Master Tech
14413541

how to replace fuel pump for 2003 tahoe

how to replace fuel pump for 2003 tahoe
Category: Chevy
Expert:  msarles1 replied 5 years ago.

here is how gm wants it done, click on images to see them, on a scale of 1-10 (10 is hardest) i would rate this job a 7. here are the instructions.

Fuel Tank Replacement (Single Tank)

Tools Required

J 43178 Fuel Line Disconnect Tool

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 855745  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief .
  2. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining .
  3. Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister. Refer to Evaporative Emission Canister Replacement .
  4. Loosen the vent hose clamp.
  5. Remove the vent hose from the fuel tank.
  6. Disconnect the chassis fuel pipe (4) from the fuel tank pipe (3). Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .
  7. Using J 43178 , disconnect the chassis fuel pipe (4) from the fuel tank pipe (3).
  8. Cap the fuel and EVAP pipes in order to prevent possible fuel and/or EVAP system contamination.
    Object Number: 855747  Size: SH
  9. Using an adjustable jack, support the fuel tank.
  10. Lower the fuel tank slightly.
  11. Disconnect the EVAP vent pipe from the fuel tank clips (6, 7).
    Object Number: 855751  Size: SH
  12. Remove the fuel tank strap bolts.

Notice: Do not bend the fuel tank straps. Bending the fuel tank straps may damage the straps.

13. Remove the fuel tank straps.
  14. With the aid of an assistant, carefully lower the rear of the fuel tank.
  15. Slide the front of the tank away from the frame.
    Object Number: 858234  Size: SH
  16. If equipped, remove the sending unit shield nuts.
  17. If equipped, remove the sending unit shield.
    Object Number: 855750  Size: SH
  18. Release the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
  19. Disconnect the fuel sender and fuel pressure sensor electrical connectors (2).
  20. Completely lower the fuel tank.
  21. Place the fuel tank in a suitable work area.
  22. Remove the fuel feed and return pipes from the fuel sending unit and the retaining clips.
  23. If necessary, remove the fuel sending unit. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement .

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 855750  Size: SH
  1. If necessary, install the fuel sending unit. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement .
  2. Connect the fuel feed and return pipes to the fuel sending unit and the retaining clips.
  3. Place the fuel tank onto a suitable jack.
  4. With the aid of an assistant, partially raise the fuel tank.
  5. Connect the fuel sender and fuel pressure sensor electrical connectors (2).
  6. Install the CPA retainer.
    Object Number: 858234  Size: SH
  7. If equipped, install the sending unit shield.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. If equipped, install the sending unit shield nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 855751  Size: SH
  9. With the aid of an assistant, completely raise the fuel tank.
  10. Install the fuel tank straps.
  11. install the fuel tank strap bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

12. Remove the adjustable jack from the fuel tank.
  13. Connect the vent hose and fill hose to the tank.
  14. Tighten the vent hose and fill hose clamps at the tank.

Tighten
    Tighten the clamps to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Object Number: 855747  Size: SH
  15. Connect the EVAP vent pipe to the fuel tank clips (6, 7).
    Object Number: 855745  Size: SH
  16. Remove the caps from the fuel and EVAP pipes.
  17. Connect the chassis fuel pipes (4) to the fuel tank pipes (3). Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .
  18. Install the EVAP canister. Refer to Evaporative Emission Canister Replacement .
  19. Lower the vehicle.
  20. Refill the fuel tank.
  21. Install the fuel fill cap.
  22. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  23. Use the following procedure in order to inspect for leaks:
    23.1. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF, for 2 seconds.
    23.2. Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
    23.3. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
    23.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.

Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement

Tools Required

J 44402 Fuel Tank Sending Unit Wrench

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 871947  Size: SH
  1. Remove the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement .
  2. Disconnect the fuel lines from the sending unit, if necessary. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .
  3. Using J 44402 , remove the sending unit lock ring.
    Object Number: 871951  Size: SH
  4. Remove the lock ring, sending unit, and rubber seal. Discard the seal.
  5. Clean the sending unit sealing surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 871951  Size: SH

Important: The fuel pump strainer must be in a horizontal position when the sending unit is installed in the tank. When installing the sending unit, assure that the fuel pump strainer does not block full travel of the float arm.

1. Install the sending unit and a NEW rubber seal.

Align the alignment tab to the correct location on the fuel tank.

Object Number: 871947  Size: SH
  2. Using J 44402 , install the sending unit lock ring.
  3. Connect the fuel lines to the sending unit, if necessary. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .
  4. Install the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement .

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

msarles1, Chevy Technician
Experience: 20 Years of GM experience, Service Manager, Parts Manager, GM Master Tech, ASE Master Tech