Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

95 camaro z28 lt1, how do you set the timing we keep getting

Customer Question

95 camaro z28 lt1, how do you set the timing we keep getting it out 180 gegrees?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Check this procedure out and see if it helps ok.

Distributor Installation

Important: The distributor is driven by a camshaft pin that mates to one slot in the distributor driveshaft.

1. Align distributor driveshaft slot with distributor base timing mark.
  2. Rotate the engine crankshaft until number one piston is at top dead center (the intake and exhaust valves closed). The camshaft pin will be at 9 o'clock position.
    Object Number: 11488  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  3. Install the distributor.

Before you insert the distributor bolts, ensure that the distributor is fully seated to the engine front cover. If the distributor is difficult to seat, check the alignment of the distributor driveshaft slot, the timing mark and the camshaft pin.

4. Install the distributor bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the ignition coil and bracket and studs.

Tighten
    Tighten the ignition coil studs to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 30853  Size: SH
  6. Connect the distributor vacuum harness.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We tried that too, The engine is on TDC valves closed timing marks lined up, Crank the engine in get compression 180 degrees out, Wont fire??????
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Why do you think the distributor is 180 degrees out? Is there a chance the distributor is faulty as I have seen many of these fail especially if aftermarket. I highly recommend GM distributor, cap and rotor when it comes to these parts. Also, any trouble codes and is a scan tool available to monitor the engine cranking speed (crank sensor output)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The timing is 180 degrees out, crank and cam gears dont line back up on compression stroke. We set them as.. Cam 6 oclock and crank at 12oclock. rotate the motor ( without distributor) to make sure on the compression stroke, and its on the compression stroke with the cam at 12oclock and crank at 12 oclock?? Dont make any sense to me.....
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Was this engine disassembled and going back together or is this a no-start condition being diagnosed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The engine ran just had optispark issue. took it off noticed seal on timing cover were leaking changed them, noticed chain had alot of play in it. Changed it. Have a new Accel optispark for it. So i guess we got something out of wak somewhere.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Here is how to install that chain and gears properly.

Timing Chain, Sprockets, and WP Driveshaft Install

Tools Required

J 5590 Crankshaft Sprocket Installer
J 41546 Water Pump Driveshaft Installer

Object Number: 32066  Size: SH
  1. Install the key into the crankshaft keyway.
  2. Use the J 5590 in order to install the crankshaft sprocket.
    Object Number: 32068  Size: SH
  3. Use the J 41546 in order to install the water pump driveshaft assembly.
  4. Install the water pump driveshaft retainer bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the water pump driveshaft retainer bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

Important: The gears must mesh in order to prevent damage to the camshaft retainer.

Object Number: 11504  Size: SH
  5. Install the camshaft sprocket and timing chain.
    Object Number: 11503  Size: SH
  6. Install camshaft sprocket bolts. Be sure to align the camshaft and the crankshaft sprocket alignment marks.

Tighten
    Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Important: Align the keyway on the reluctor ring with the key in the crankshaft and install the reluctor ring onto the crankshaft until the ring is completely seated against the crankshaft sprocket.

Object Number: 11487  Size: SH
  7. Install the crankshaft position sensor reluctor ring.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry we have done all of that... Execpt the crankshaft reluctor ring, it didnt have one. The car was running.. we drove it into thr garage
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
If the cam and crank gears are aligned properly and the chain hasn't jumped at all check the distributor is identical and the rotor isn't 180 degrees off in its' mounting.