GM_MASTER_DENNY
GM_MASTER_DENNY, GM and ASE Master Tech/Shop Foreman
Experience:  Over 15 years experience in automotive repair. GM Mark Of Excellence Winner for several years.
14081360

need to remove the lower half fo the intermediate steering shaft to fix the rag joint

how do i remove the lower half of the intermediate steering shaft on a 1998 chevrolet blazer 2wd 4.3 litre.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM_MASTER_DENNY replied 5 years ago.
Lower Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the front wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the lock position and remove the key.

Note the relationship of the lower intermediate shaft to the upper intermediate shaft and the lower intermediate shaft to the steering gear input shaft in order to ensure proper installation.

3. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Intake Air Resonator Replacement in Engine Controls 2.2L or Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls 4.3L.
    Object Number: 288800  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  4. Remove the intermediate shaft shield from the lower intermediate shaft.
    Object Number: 692  Size: SH
  5. Remove the bolt that retains the lower intermediate shaft coupling to the steering gear input shaft.
    Object Number: 395781  Size: SH
  6. Remove the lower intermediate shaft from the vehicle.
    6.1. Slide the lower intermediate shaft rearward in order to remove the lower intermediate shaft coupling from the steering gear input shaft.
    6.2. Slide the lower intermediate shaft forward in order to remove the lower intermediate shaft from the upper intermediate shaft.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 395781  Size: SH
  1. Install the lower intermediate shaft.
    1.1. Slide the lower intermediate shaft rearward in order to install the lower intermediate shaft to the upper intermediate shaft.
    1.2. Slide the lower intermediate shaft forward in order to install the lower intermediate shaft coupling to the steering gear input shaft.

Object Number: 692  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the bolt that retains the lower intermediate shaft coupling to the steering gear input shaft.

Tighten
    Tighten the lower intermediate shaft coupling to the steering gear input shaft bolt to 35 N·m (25 lb ft).

Object Number: 288800  Size: SH
  3. Install the shield to the lower intermediate shaft.
  4. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Intake Air Resonator Replacement in Engine Controls 2.2L or Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls 4.3L.

graphic

graphic

Experience: Over 15 years experience in automotive repair. GM Mark Of Excellence Winner for several years.