Travis
Travis, Chevy Technician
Experience:  7+ years of GM dealership experience, GM ASEP trained, Assoc. Degree in Auto. Tech.
14792462

2007 Chevy Cobalt: key out of the ignition and the vehicke turned off

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and the lights will not turn off even with the key out of the ignition and the vehicke turned off. What could be wrong?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Travis replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the question. I will try to help you with your problem.

On some models, the lamps are programmed to stay on for a certain amount of time after you exit the vehicle.

How long have you let the car sit with the key out, and the lamps still be on.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The car has been turned off for hours, about 4 hours.

Thanks

Expert:  Travis replied 8 years ago.

On your car, the lights are controlled by a computer, whcih sends a signl to a relay allowing the lights to come on.

Under you hood, there is a relay box on the left rear side. Remove the cover to that box and you will see some fuses and relays. Locate the relay listed as "Low Beam PCB" and remove it for 30 seconds.

If it is not listed, your owners manual will have a detail list of them, and location.

After 30 second, reinstall the relay. Let me know if they stay off after that.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So I took out the fuses for 30 seconds and then reinstalled them but the lights were still on. I tried again but it did not work. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Travis replied 8 years ago.

Ok, that process has elminated the low beam relay, sometimes they can stick on.

In the same fuse block, under the hood, there are 2 fuses, listed as BCM 2 and BCM 3.

one is a 30 amp, the other a 40 amp. They are large fuses. Remove them for 30 seconds then reinstall.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok so I did that too and nothing has changed. The lights remain on if I keep the fuses for the low beams plugged in so I removed them as to not wear my battery down.
Expert:  Travis replied 8 years ago.
Its sounds like there is a short in either the BCM or the headlamp switch itself. How many miles are on your car?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Only 47K and it still under an extended warranty so maybe I just need to take it in?
Expert:  Travis replied 8 years ago.

Thats true. I did some work for extended warranty companys, make sure your contract covers issues like these so you are not stuck with an unexpected bill. And check your deductable.

I hope I was able to assist you, thanks.