George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD: the easiest way to remove the water pump

What is the easiest way to remove the water pump in a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will answer your question,

Can you please tell me which engine you have installed in your truck?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
8.1 liter gas engine
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

first drain the cooling system:

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  2. Follow the steps below in order to remove the surge tank fill cap:

2.1.Slowly rotate the cap counterclockwise.
2.2.Stop rotating and allow the hissing to stop.
2.3.After all hissing stops, continue turning counterclockwise in order to remove the cap.

1. Open the radiator drain cock.
  2. Allow the system to drain completely.
  3. Inspect the engine coolant for the following:
    • Discolored - follow the flush procedure below.
    • Normal in appearance - continue with the next step.

Notice: When adding coolant, use DEX-COOL coolant. If silicated coolant is added to the system, premature engine, heater core or radiator corrosion may result. In addition, the engine coolant will require change sooner-at 50 000 km (30,000 mi) or 24 months. The following notice applies only to the 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L engines.

Notice: DO NOT use cooling system seal tabs (or similar compounds) unless otherwise instructed. The use of cooling system seal tabs (or similar compounds) may restrict coolant flow through the passages of the cooling system or the engine components. Restricted coolant flow may cause engine overheating and/or damage to the cooling system or the engine components/assembly.

1. Close the radiator drain cock.
  2. Fill the system through the surge tank opening.
  3. Pre-mix a 50 to 60 percent solution of DEX-COOL and clean, drinkable water.
  4. Slowly add the premixed solution to the surge tank until the level is slightly above the surge tank split line.
  5. Start the engine.
  6. Idle the engine for 1 minute.
  7. Loosely install the surge tank cap. Do not allow the system to build up pressure.
  8. Cycle the engine from idle to 3000 RPM in 30 second intervals until the engine coolant reaches 99°C (210°F) and the thermostat opens.
  9. Shut off the engine.
  10. Refer to step 3 in order to remove the surge tank cap.
  11. Start the engine.
  12. Idle the engine for 1 minute. Fill the surge tank to 1/2 inch above the COLD FULL mark on the surge tank.
  13. Install the radiator surge tank cap.
  14. Cycle the RPM. Idle the engine to 3000 in 30 second intervals until the engine coolant reaches 99°C (210°F) .
  15. Shut off the engine.
  16. Top off the coolant, as necessary, to 1/2 inch above FULL COLD mark on the surge tank.
  17. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the compartment.
  18. Inspect the concentration of the coolant

then remove the serpentine belt

• Install a breaker bar with hex-head socket to the drive belt tensioner bolt.
  • Rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise in order to relieve tension on the belt.
  • Remove the belt from the pulleys and the drive belt tensioner.
  • Slowly release the tension on the drive belt tensioner.
  • Remove the breaker bar and socket and from the drive belt tensioner bolt.
  • Clean and inspect the belt surfaces of all the pulleys
  •  

Then the fan clutch using a wrench large enough to fit the nut on the clutch striking it sharply with a hammer counterclockwise That is the special tool refrenced below

1. Remove the upper fan shroud.
    2. If equipped with a 4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, or 8.1L engine, install the J 41240 to the fan clutch.
    3. If equipped with a 6.6L engine, install the J 41240-5A to the fan clutch.

graphic

Then the waterpump

• Reposition the outlet hose clamp at the water pump.
  • Remove the outlet hose from the water pump.
  • Reposition the bypass hose clamps at the water pump and water crossover.
  • Remove the bypass hose
  •  

graphic

• Remove the water pump bolts.
  • Remove the water pump.
  • Remove and discard the water pump gaskets
  •  

graphic

To put it back together, clean gasket surface, install new gasket and torque pump bolts

Tighten the water pump bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)

Note the fill procedure for the cooling system and use a new, quality thermostat

Let me know if you have any questions

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years