George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

How do you remove a fuel pump for a 2002 suburban 4x4 5.3?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will answer your question,

This is for a 1500 with single tank if yours is different let me know and I will provide the procedure. You will have to drop the tank for this one:

Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement

Tool Required

• J44402 Fuel Tank Sending Unit Wrench.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the fuel tank.
  2. Remove fuel lines from sender assembly.

1. Remove the fuel sender assembly retaining ring using the J 44402.
  2. Remove the fuel sender assembly and the seal. Discard the seal. Caution: Drain the fuel from the fuel sender assembly into an approved container in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury. Never store the fuel in an open container.
  3. Clean the fuel sender sealing surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Caution: Drain the fuel from the fuel sender assembly into an approved container in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury. Never store the fuel in an open container.

1. Install the new seal on the fuel tank. Important: The fuel pump strainer must be in a horizontal position when the fuel sender is installed in the tank. When installing the fuel sender assembly, assure that the fuel pump strainer does not block full travel of the float arm.
  2. Install the fuel sender assembly into the fuel tank. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  3. Install the fuel sender assembly retaining ring using the J 44402.
  4. Install fuel lines to sender assembly..
  5. Install the fuel tank.

graphic

Remove the tank

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to the Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure.
  2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  3. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining Procedure (Utility Single Tank) or Fuel Tank Draining Procedure (Utility Dual Tank Front) or Fuel Tank Draining Procedure (Utility Dual Tank Rear).
  4. Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister.
  5. Disconnect the chassis fuel pipes (2) at the fuel tank pipes (1).
  6. Cap the fuel and EVAP pipes in order to prevent possible fuel system contamination.

1. Disconnect the EVAP vent pipe at the fuel tank clip (5).

1. Loosen the vent hose and filler hose clamp (4, 2).
  2. Disconnect the vent hose and filler hose from the pipe.

1. With the aid of an assistant, support the fuel tank. NOTE: Refer to Damage to Fuel Tank Straps Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Remove the fuel tank strap attaching bolts.
  3. Remove the fuel tank straps.
  4. Carefully lower the rear of the fuel tank slightly.
  5. Remove the fuel sender cover on the Suburban only.

I recommend using ACDelco components only for this job