GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2005 Chevy Suburban and the driver side power seat

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevy Suburban and the driver side power seat and the seat warmer on both driver and passenger seats just stopped working.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome Alan. Both seats share a module for the heated seats. If the module detects one of the elements has an issue it disables the entire system. First we need to find out which side has the issue. Try restarting the truck, but do not turn the drivers side on. Only turn the passenger side on. The system resets with each ignition cycle and tests the elements when they are turned on. If the passenger side is at fault the system will kick out. If it works, the issue is with the drivers side. I suspect it will be the drivers side. I have assembled a document to test the elements in the drivers seat. HERE it is. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would this also effect the power seat on the driver side only? It's almost like the driver seat has no power to it as everything is dead in that seat only and the passenger seat only has a problem with the heater but the power seat works fine.
Ok, that could be something different then, but yes, the power seat for the drivers is controlled by the same module. Do you have adjustable pedals? Does the memory seat recall work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the adjustable pedals work fine but the seat memory doesn't. It beeps and moves the mirrors but the seat doesn't move.
Please post your VIN so I know what systems you have.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, here you go: VIN 3GNFK16Z85G138587

OK. Below is a bulletin that may help. You might need to have the system scanned with a scan tool to get codes. Review the data and let me know what you think.

#PIT3287D: Heated Seat Inoperative Or Shuts Off In 30 Seconds - keywords B1825 B2435 B2440 B3606 - (Oct 2, 2006)

Subject:Heated Seat Inoperative or Shuts Off In 30 Seconds

Models:2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Silverado Classic
2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic, Sierra Denali Classic
2003-2006 Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2003-2007 Hummer H2

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Driver and passenger heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds. There will be DTCs B2435, B2440, B3606 and/or B1825 set in the Drivers Seat Module. The adjustable pedal position sensor, seat recliner position sensor and both heat seat thermistors share the same 5 volt reference internal to the Drivers Seat Module. A fault in any of these components/circuits can make the heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds, as well as, the seat recliner and/or adjustment pedals may move in short increments when operated. A fault in heated seats, adjustable pedal or seat recliner will affect BOTH heated seats.

Note:: Even if the vehicle is not equipped with adjustable pedals DTC B3606 still may set.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To help isolate the area of concern use the Tech 2 and go to "Sensor Data" in the Drivers Seat Module. Monitor the following parameters for being out of range:

Recline Position- Normal range .39V-4.58V

Pedal Position (if equipped) - Normal range .39V-4.58V

Psgr. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V

Drvr. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V

If a parameter is found to be out of range inspect circuits for any opens, shorts to ground, or voltage. If none found replace the suspect component.

Please be aware of the following common areas of concern:

1. The adjustable pedal position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the adjustable pedal position sensor and see if the heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.

Note Important:: The APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor is NOT the adjustable pedal position sensor. Make sure the correct sensor, adjustable pedal position sensor, is disconnected.

2. The seat recliner position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the recliner position sensor and see if heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.
  3. An open in either heated seat thermistor circuits (signal or low reference). The most common is the passenger thermistor where it passes through seat connector C305 pin "L" or "K" or C399 pins "R" or "G".
  4. A chaff to ground on either heated seat thermistor signal circuits. The most common is circuit 5475 black/red or dark blue shorted to ground in the passenger seat near the buckle.

Note Important:: The heated seat thermistors act differently to "OPENS and SHORTS" than the adjustable pedal position sensor and seat recliner position sensor. The adjustable pedals and seat recliner sensors can be disconnected for testing of the heated seats. Where as the heated seat thermistor circuit must be working correctly before EITHER heated seat will operate. Disconnecting one thermistor, which may have a concern will not allow the opposite heated seat to work correctly, BOTH side must be operational before EITHER heated seat will operate.

Clearing DTCs

If DTCs will not clear when using the Tech 2 after a repair has been made, try operating the device in which the repair was made. Example, if a repair was made to the passenger heated seat thermistor circuit, the DTCs may not clear unless the passenger heated seat is operated.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That's going to take me a little time. I'll get back to you with the test results as soon as I have them.

Thanks...

THats fine.
What did you find?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, we didn't find anything in the sensor data so we were going to pull the driver seat to check the harness. We disconnected the battery to do so then had to reconnect it just a few minutes later to move the vehicle. When we reconnected the battery everything started working, so now we're waiting for it to happen again to continue diagnosing the problem. Weird...

That is expected. The module has not memory. Once it looses power, it forgets the faults it had until they happen again. Reply when you need more assistance.