GM Expert
GM Expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified and over 25 years Experience in the Automotive Field

95 tahoe: will crank but will not start....It was -25.....Thanks

Customer Question

I have a 95 Tahoe...Engine will crank but will not start....It was -25 below zero where i live last night...I think it may be a fuel pump issue..Can her fuel pump start when key is turned on...Do you think this is my probelm or is there something else going on...Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Expert replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using JA,

When you turn the key on the fuel pump will prime the system for a few seconds. I would have someone turn the key to the on position and have someone by the fuel tank and listen for the pump to turn on. If it does then we have another avenue to follow. If it does not turn on then we will have to check the fuel and relay under the hood in the fuse block. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does turn on and prime the pump....Tried starting again and can smell fuel just doesn't want to start...
Expert:  GM Expert replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the response.

What engine do you have in your vehicle. Let me know and I will check out databases.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
5.7 350 tpi
Expert:  GM Expert replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the response,

Can you check your fuel pressure with a gauge and let me know what it is reading. For this year of vehicle there is a bulliten out by gm that covers your concern. I will attach it for your to read and let me know what your reading are.

Thanks msgtperrin

1992-96 Chevrolet and GMC Trucks
1992-96 Oldsmobile Bravada with Gasoline Engines

Some owners may report their engine is hard to start or will not start.

The fuel delivery system may have low or no pressure due to a ruptured fuel pump pulsator The pulsator is the flexible connector between the fuel pump and the metal fuel line in the tank. This rupture appears as a tear in the pulsator openings and is the result of exposure to gasoline containing a high percentage of ethanol.

Follow the Strategy Based Diagnostic Steps for the reported symptoms. If diagnosis reveals low or no fuel system pressure, and the fuel pump is identified as a possible cause, follow the service procedure for, On-Vehicle Service, Fuel Pump, in the appropriate Truck Service Manual. Before replacing the fuel pump, inspect the pulsator for signs of tears or leaks It the pulsator is damaged, replace it with P/N 25175836 and re-test the fuel system for normal pressure. This pulsator is made of Viton which is resistant to Ethanol content fuels. P/N 25175836 replaces P/N 25094266 for trucks. This change will appear in GMSPO parts catalogs as they are revised.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i don't have a gauge so thanks for the help

Expert:  GM Expert replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the response and let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks msgtperrin