frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,

1997 1500, suburban the fuse box under hood on the drivers

Customer Question

1997 1500, suburban the fuse box under hood on the drivers side is causing the battery to drain to zero volts. I've removed the pwr wire @ the fuse box and the battery charges normal off a bttry chrgr, removed all fuses one @ a time with pwr wire connected still would not chrg, removed rlys with same results. ( fuse block bad?) please advise.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 7 years ago.

Yes -I have had a UBEC(thats what its called)go bad-but you need to use a amp meter in line to check your actaul draws.30ma(.03 amps)is a acceptable draw.Pulling fuses and a battery charger?With a ampmeter in line wait 30 minutes for everything to power down then remove fuses 1 at a time-and the alternator power wire.I have seen alternator regulators latch on until you remove power from them also.