Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Is there a fuel system reset switch on a 1999 chevy malibu?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

No, Ford is only manufacturer that has a fuel pump reset switch.

If fuel pump is not energizing, check the fuel pump relay, located in the underhood junction block on the left side of engine compartment:

graphic

graphic

You can try swapping it out with another relay. If fuel pump starts working, you will need a new relay. If not, then you will need to do some tests to find out where power going to fuel pump is lost, or if fuel pump is faulty

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We just replaced the relay today.. we also replaced the pcm thinking it was that. You see my son was putting in a cd player. The car was starting fine... then he blew a fuse... replaced it and now it isn't starting. You can not hear any fuel moving through. We also thought maybe it was the anti theft system so we have tried to reset that...... any other thoughts on what it is?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

which fuse did he blow?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He blew the one for the radio battery. It was blown and he replaced it. He was replacing the stereo and touched wires which incidentily blew the fuse. But when the this happened the car still did run. We belive it my be that the pump is bad. When the key is turned to the "ON" position we can not here the pump running.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

I dont believe its the fuel pump based on what you have told me so far. Mis-wiring would have blown the relay or fuse before shorting out the pump.

Does the Theft System indicator light come on at all when key is placed in the ignition?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When we first put the key in the ignition the light does come one, then shuts off. We try to crank it and then it does not come one again. We tried to do the reset of the theft system and after we tried to start he car it stall like it should but the light did not come back on.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

ok, check the following fuses with either a test light or voltmeter- although a fuse may look ok visually, it may still be bad.

In underhood junction block:

graphic

fuse box under instrument panel:

graphic

If these fuses are ok, then problem is going to lie in the anti-theft system if the indicator light is no longer coming on when key is put into ignition.

Unfortunately, a factory level scan tool is REQUIRED to test the various components of the anti-theft system- passlock, body function controller, instrument cluster, and wiring

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK then. That is pretty much what we told him. Thank you for the time and help.