frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,
1816887

1996 Chevy: tach..speedometer wont work sometimes..shift

Customer Question

1996 Chevy Tach and speedometer won't work sometimes. Also truck will nit shift when this happens. (Starts and remains in 3rd.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
You have a bad ignition switch
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Already Replaced ignition switch. Didn't help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Gauges also seem to vary more than normal (Fuel when cornering) Alos put in a new alternator, but Oreilley says its ok.

Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
Your speedo tach and trans are on the same powerd circuit of of the igntion switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You Call this two answers? You still have not provided any information on HOW to install the new ignition switch. I just had one installed about a year ago and I can't afford another $ 400.00, so I'll attempt this myself. BUT if it is going to cost $500.00, $ 15.00 at a time from you, I'll just have someone else do it.

UNHAPPY

Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
The trans solemoids(loosing power to them defaults to 3rd gear) and the dash are on the same circuit out of the ignition switch- you said that that was replaced and didnot help-now you said it was a year ago.I am here to help you.A simple test is checking for power on the trans and dash fuse when its happening.I can help you replace it and tell you where to get the switch for $118 but you have to work with me.
Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
And for the record-you have not spent 1 dime-your depsoit is not a payment.
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: 33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have. I tried to view a DETAILED answer from another advisor and it deducted it from my account, but I still cannot see the DETAILED answer.
Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
Since you are working with someone else I suggest you go back to them especially since you have paid for them to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

they charged me, but I still can't see the answer, although it was paragraphs, not two or three words. I'm thinking this complete site is a ripoff.

Here is your payment for "it's your ignition switch" Big help

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Union guy I'm guessing.

Quit living off others and EARN your own $

Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to help you-your the one thats not being civil-and your getting help from someone else-DO YOU WANT ME TO TELL YOU HOW TO CHANGE THE SWITCH ?It wont be in text or copied out of a manual?You account hear shows no other person helping you unless you are using a different name and I do not copy and post copy righted material.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not to you personally, other than the very brief answers. The Site charges me to see other answers before I can see them. After they charge, I still cant see the answer.
Expert:  frank replied 5 years ago.
Lets forget about this and move on-if you want to get a switch from O'Reillys(find out how much first then log inti ROCKAUTO.com-you can get one for $118 or a A/C delco gm genuine for #138.)If you wait until you have the part in had its eisier to describe some of theese steps.First,disconnect the battery-then you have to drop the panel under the gauge cluster(knee bolster)there are 7mm screws across the bottom and 2 spring clips on the top-the cluster bezel snaps in so if you want to pull that off for more room you can.Then remove the black metal support under the column held in with 10mm bolts.You will be able to see the wiring harness coming down out of the column.Follow it to under the dash to the junction.Thre is a 7mm headed bolt that joins the 2 connectors,unscrew that bolt and the connector will back is self off-you have to tug on it to seperate it and its a little tight in there,If you have tilt-remove the tilt lever-look in thru the cover and there is a little arm on the wheel side that acts like a catch-postion that spring catch away from the tilt arm and it will pull off.Remove the lower steering column cover-its held in with torg bolts(T20 if I remember)Then looking up from the bottm there are 2 screws that hold the upper cover to the colum they are close to the steering wheel and toward the inside-the one on the inner side is a tight fit because of the igntion switch.Remove the upper cover.There is a wire that runs to the key warning switch in the ignition lock housing,squuze the white tang arm in and rotate the plastic piece to remove it from the housing.Remove the 2 (I believe E4 headed bolts) that hold the switch in,Cut the wire tie that spports the switch harness.Seperate the connector ends-there are 2 seperate connectors in that major connector,a screwdriver to pry the outer "stip"connectors away from the boddy and they slide off and one go back in 1 way and disconnect the brake interlock solenoid and evo solenoi-if equiped you can follow the loose pigtais to where they terminal and disconnet and the switch is out.To install is just a reverse ,Just make sure that you wire tie the new harness and position in that metal bend just under the multifunction switch for strain relief.Let me know if you you need help any where.