RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical
9377736

how to change a knock sensor on a 4.8 liter V8

Category: Chevy
Expert:  RussMasterTech replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The knock sensors are under the intake manifold. Are you replacing them because of a code that is setting?

Russ

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes

What year is your truck and what is the code please.

Thanks,

Russ

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2000 1500 chevy silverado code reading was po332

I'll send you the procedure for removing and installing the intake. Once you have the intake off, remove any of the foam from the bottom off the manifold. After you replace the rear knock sensor, look for signs of corrosion and water intrusion. If there is corrosion in the sensor or the wiring, you should replace the sensor and that harness. Once that is done, apply a bead of silicone RTV around the rear knock sensor opening and leave a gap in the sealant at the rear of the opening. This will prevent any water from getting trapped and causing damage to the new sensor. Reinstall the intake with new gaskets and you should be good to go.

Hope this is what you needed.

Please click the "Accept" button so I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Russ

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Drain the engine coolant.
  3. Remove the engine sight shield.

Caution: In order to avoid possible injury or vehicle damage, always replace the accelerator control cable with a NEW cable whenever you remove the engine from the vehicle.

In order to avoid cruise control cable damage, position the cable out of the way while you remove or install the engine. Do not pry or lean against the cruise control cable and do not kink the cable. You must replace a damaged cable.

Object Number: 260101  Size: SH

4. Disconnect the accelerator control cable and the cruise control cable, if equipped, from the throttle shaft.
  5. Position the cables to the side.
  6. Remove the engine sight shield mounting bracket and the bolts.
    Object Number: 307286  Size: SH

7. Remove the air cleaner duct.
    Object Number: 412343  Size: SH

8. Remove the inlet coolant hose from the throttle body.
    Object Number: 220621  Size: SH

9. Remove the vapor vent tube hose from the throttle body.
  10. Remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) pipe bracket.
    Object Number: 310125  Size: SH

11. Open the large electrical harness retainer, then remove one M6 nut in order to separate the engine harness from the intake manifold.
    Object Number: 310126  Size: SH

12. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
    Eight fuel injector connectors
    Idle air control (IAC) motor
    Throttle position (TP) sensor
    Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge solenoid
    Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
  13. Set the electrical harness aside.
  14. Disconnect the purge solenoid vent tube from the solenoid by squeezing the retainer, then release the tube from the solenoid.
  15. Disconnect the fuel pipes from the fuel rail.
    Object Number: 382483  Size: SH

16. Remove the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.
    Object Number: 260078  Size: SH

17. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve (2) and hose (1).
  18. Remove the intake manifold from the engine.
  19. Clean and inspect the intake manifold and all sealing surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 382483  Size: SH

1. Install the intake manifold to the engine.
  2. Install the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.
    Object Number: 260078  Size: SH

3. Install the PCV valve (2) and the hose (1).
  4. Connect the fuel pipes to the fuel rail.
  5. Connect the purge solenoid vent tube to the purge solenoid. Object Number: 310125  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

6. Install the engine electrical harness and nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the engine wiring harness nut to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 310126  Size: SH

7. Route the harness over the engine, then install the following connectors.
    EVAP
    TP
    MAP
    Fuel pipes
    IAC
    Eight fuel injector connectors

Install the engine sight shield mounting bracket and the bolts.
    Install the accelerator control cable and the cruise control cable, if equipped, to the throttle shaft. Refer to Accelerator Control Cable Replacement in Engine Controls.
  8. Install the engine sight shield.
  9. Install the EGR pipe bracket.
    Object Number: 220621  Size: SH

10. Install the vapor vent tube hose to the throttle body.
    Object Number: 412343  Size: SH

11. Install the coolant hose to the throttle body.
    Object Number: 307286  Size: SH

12. Install the air cleaner duct.
  13. Fill the engine with coolant.
  14. Connect the battery negative cable.
Experience: 19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical