sldcountry
sldcountry, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  auto technology degree, ase certifications, gm certifications and training
10445064

how do i replace a heater core for a 2002 chevy blazer s10,

Customer Question

how do i replace a heater core for a 2002 chevy blazer s10, ie things i need to remove, and etc...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sldcountry replied 5 years ago.

Hey my name is XXXXX XXXXX must warn you this is a very difficult time consuming job which is not usually a DIY project, but if you think you can tackle it I will be more than happy to assist you, I have listed below the instructions right out of a GM repair manual hope you find them helpful

REMOVAL

1. Remove the instrument panel. Refer to Instrument Panel (I/P) Carrier.

1. Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System.
  2. Remove the blower motor resistor. Refer to Blower Motor Resistor. IMPORTANT : Mark and use the same mounting bolt for the heater/vent module during the installation process. Other mounting bolts are longer and will obstruct the operation of the temperature door.

1. Remove the heat/vent module mounting bolt through the blower motor resistor or service access cover opening.
  2. Remove the right wheel house panel.
  3. Remove the front right tire.
  4. Remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws.
  5. Slide the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield toward the front of the vehicle.
  6. Remove the 2 lower heat/vent module mounting nuts.
  7. Remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield bracket.
  8. Remove the bottom right heat/vent module mounting bolt from inside the vehicle. IMPORTANT : The heat/vent mounting stud has a flange on the inside and cannot be removed from under the hood. Stop turning the stud after the threads are off the heat/vent module.
  9. While an assistant inside the vehicle pulls the bottom right corner of the heat/vent module approximately 2.5 mm (1 in) back, remove the 2 heat/vent module mounting studs.
  10. Lower the vehicle.

1. Remove the HVAC module mounting bolt located at the lower left side of the heater core to heater hose connection.
  2. Remove the HVAC module mounting nut located at the lower right side of the heater core to heater connection. IMPORTANT : The heat/vent mounting stud has a flange on the inside and cannot be removed from under the hood. Stop turning the stud after the threads are off the heat/vent module.
  3. Loosen the HVAC module mounting studs until the threads are free from the heat/vent module.
  4. Disconnect all of the electrical connectors from the HVAC module.
  5. Disconnect all of the vacuum lines from the heater assembly.
  6. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
  7. Remove the HVAC

this is the instructions on how to remove the instrument panel which is step one in the previous instructions I sent you

Removal Procedure

1. On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, remove the shift lever. Refer to Control Lever and/or Boot Replacement in Manual Transmission - NV 1500.
  2. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, perform the following steps:
  1. Apply the park brake.
  2. Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
  3. Depress the brake pedal and shift the transmission to the 1 position.
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.
  2. Disable the passenger side SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
  3. Remove the left sound insulator.
  4. Remove the right instrument panel sound insulator.
  5. If the vehicle is equipped with a multiple CD changer located in the center console, remove the center console. Refer to Console Replacement - Front Floor (Full Length (Auto Trans)) Console Replacement - Front Floor (Non-Full Length) Console Replacement - Front Floor (Full Length (Manual Trans)).
  6. Remove the lower sound insulator.
  7. Remove the lower left instrument panel mounting bolt.
  8. Remove and retain the instrument panel storage compartment.
  9. Remove the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt.

1. Remove and retain the left and right speakers and the speaker grilles.
  2. Use a flat-bladed tool to remove the windshield defroster grille. Retain the windshield defroster grille for use on the replacement IP carrier.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a sunload sensor, twist the sunload sensor 1/4 turn counterclockwise in order to detach it from the windshield defroster grille. Retain the sunload sensor for use on the replacement IP carrier. Important: Always disconnect the brown electrical connector from the BCM before disconnecting the purple electrical connector from the BCM.
  2. Disconnect the brown electrical connector from the body control module (BCM).
  3. Disconnect the purple electrical connector from the body control module (BCM).
  4. Remove the knee bolster.
  5. Remove and retain the instrument panel cluster.
  6. Remove and retain the radio.
  7. Remove and retain the HVAC control assembly.

1. Remove the left and right instrument panel driver knee bolster brackets.
  2. Lower the steering column for clearance. Refer to Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.

Important: Label all of the connections in order to avoid improper installation.

1. Remove the top instrument panel screws.
  2. Roll the instrument panel down.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connections, as needed.
  4. Remove the fastener that retains the radio antenna cable to the instrument panel.
  5. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
  6. If replacing the instrument panel carrier, retain parts for assembly onto the new instrument panel carrier.

Installation Procedure

1. Install retained parts from the original instrument panel.

Install the instrument panel to the vehicle.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the fastener that retains the radio antenna cable to the instrument panel. Tighten the fastener to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in).
  2. Connect the electrical connectors, as needed.
  3. Roll the instrument panel up.
  4. Install the top instrument panel screws. Tighten the screws to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in).

1. Raise the steering column into position. Refer to Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
  2. Install the left and right instrument panel driver knee bolster brackets. Tighten the screws/bolts to 6.3 N.m (56 lb in).

1. Enable the passenger side SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.
  2. Install the HVAC control assembly to the instrument panel.
  3. Install the radio.
  4. Install the instrument cluster.
  5. Install the knee bolster. Important: Always connect the purple electrical connector to the BCM before connecting the brown electrical connector to the BCM.
  6. Connect the purple electrical connector to the body control module (BCM).
  7. Connect the brown electrical connector to the body control module (BCM).
  8. If the vehicle is equipped with a sunload sensor, install the sensor to the defroster grille by twisting the sensor 1/4 turn clockwise.

1. Install the windshield defroster grille by carefully pressing the grille into place.
  2. Install the left and right speakers and the speaker grilles.

1. Install the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt. Tighten the bolt to 11.5 N.m (102 lb in).
  2. Install the instrument panel storage compartment.
  3. Install the lower left instrument panel bolt. Tighten the bolt to 11.5 N.m (102 lb in).
  4. Install the lower sound insulator.
  5. Install the right sound insulator.
  6. Install the center console to the vehicle, if removed.
  7. Install the left sound insulator.
  8. Connect the battery negative cable.
  9. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, perform the following steps:
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
  2. Depress the brake pedal and shift the transmission to the PARK position.
  3. Release the park brake.
  1. On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, install the shift lever. Refer to Control Lever and/or Boot Replacement in Manual Transmission - NV 1500.