Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
14582819

HI, I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox and the windshield wipers will

HI, I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox and the windshield wipers will only operate on high, I can sometime click the wipers down so they operate on a different speed. Is it the wiper motor or something else.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt J replied 8 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be more than happy to assist you.

Most likely the wiper motor/module is bad pretty common, but with out doing a electrical test at the motor/module to verify it I can't rule out the wiper motor switch.

If you have or have access to a volt meter I can assist you with how to test it and verify if it is the wiper motor/module or the switch and also give you instructions on how to replace either part.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, My brother has a volt meter and asked me if you could instruct us on how to hook it up to the wiper motor and what the reading should be. Thanks for the info. Lisa
Expert:  Matt J replied 8 years ago.

The only thing I did not think of is to test it you will have to remove both windsheld wiper arms and the cowl that covers the wiper motor.

The wiper arms are a pain to get off some times. The cowl is easy once the wiper arms are off.

You you want me to send you instructions on how to take the wiper arms and cowl off?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes... Please... and thank you so much. Lisa
Expert:  Matt J replied 8 years ago.
  • Open hood to access wiper arm nut.
  • Remove wiper arm nut.
  • Lift wiper arm assembly away from windshield and remove wiper arm from pivot shaft.
  • graphic

• Remove the right side air inlet grille push-in retainers.
  • Remove the right side air inlet grille from the vehicle.
  • Remove the left side air inlet grille push-in retainers.
  • Lift up the left side air inlet grille and disconnect the front washer nozzle hose from the front nozzles.
  • Depress the nozzle retaining tabs on the under side of the air inlet grille and pull front nozzles up.
  • Remove the left side air inlet grille.
  •  

graphic

Once you have both off you can disconnect the connector to the wiper motor.

Connect the black wire on the volt meter to ground (battery negative or non painted metal part)

-Now turn the vehicle on (not running)

-Turn on the wiper motor to the highest setting.

- Take the red wire on the volt meter and touched to slot (D see diagram below) the volt meter should show about 12 volts

Now take the red wire and move it to slot (E) and turn with wiper motor switch to the setting that did not work. If you have voltage then the wiper motor is bad.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    So if I have voltage on the meter when the wiper switch is in a position where the wipers did not work, then my wiper motor is bad?
    Expert:  Matt J replied 8 years ago.

Correct

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Thanks Matt... My brother and I will see what happens... I don't know if we will do it tomorrow or wait until Friday. If I accept can I still talk with you or do I have to wait to accept until I have no more questions? Have a super great New Year... Lisa
    Expert:  Matt J replied 8 years ago.

To be on the safe side don't accept at this time, wait until the problem is found.

I'm availible just about all the time. When you reply back it sends a mesage to my cell phone and I can login on my cell or my computer to answer any questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Matt... I will wait, Thanks so Much.. Lisa
    Expert:  Matt J replied 8 years ago.

I will be waiting for your reply.