richardndawnc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ,Service manager for 14 years, Shop Owner

2000 Chevy Cavalier: a new ignition light

Customer Question

I had to put a new ignition Switch in my 2000 Chevy Cavalier and now the theft light and security light wont go off How do i reset them
Category: Chevy
Expert:  richardndawnc replied 7 years ago.
is the car an automatic? or a 5 speed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Car is an Automatic
ok -
its actually pretty simple,
Start the WILL go dead. --- LEAVE --- the key ON , until the anti theft system light on the dash --STOPS -- flashing (average about 15 to 20 mins.) and it just stays lit constant .Turn the key to OFF . and then You are good to go, you should have no more issues from here on out
also make sure the battery is good and charged before you attempt this, it is a good idea if you have a battery charger ,install it on a low setting just incase it tries to go dead, and you will have to start all over again
Please remember to ACCEPT my answer if I answerd your question, this is the only way I get credit for my work, if not please feel free to let me know how I can help you !