Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

1999 gmc suburban: cranks..light stays..the check engine light

Customer Question

i have a 1999 gmc suburban w/passlock system once in a while it cranks but wont kick over from reading this complaints i beleive its got something to do with the passlock system also the security light stays on most of the time even when im driving it.my question is how can i fix it or how can i remove or bypass the passlock system alltogether with out setting off the check engine light or damaging any other thing thanks for your help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Do you have access to a scan tool that can read body failure codes? This would be like the pros use at abround $3000.00?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>NO I DONT I WORK AT A AUTOMOBILE STEREO & ALARM SHOP WE HAVE BASIC TOOLS BUT NO SCANNERS</p>
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Ok I understand. This system can be tricky and really requires the use of this type of tool. This would allow for you to remove a trouble code regarding the exact failure in this system. The most common failure is the passlock sensor located in the ignition cylinder assembly. This system cannot be disabled as it must work everytime you start the vehicle. I have heard of people bypassing this item with a passlock bypass like used in remote start applications. I myself have not tried this. As I stated the key here would be to retrieve the trouble code regarding this problem. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems! If you can get someone to do this scan and can post the trouble codes regarding the theft system I would be more than happy to further asssist you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>I ACTUALLY ADDED A REMOTE START SYSTEM TO MY BURVAN AND HAD TO USE A BYPASS MODULE AND STILL HAS IT AT FIRST I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE PROBLEM SO I REPLACED IT BUT STILL DOES THE SAME THING.USUALLY IF THE KEY IS IN THE IGNITION THE REMOTE START SYSTEM WILL WORK BUT MINE WILL NOT START EVEN WITH THE KEY IN THE IGNITION.IF I TURN THE KEY TO THE ON POSSITION THEN THE REMOTE START WILL WORK </p>
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
See this is where the scan tool would help. You would be able to verify if the theft system is setting any trouble codes. There are more items than the passlock sensor so there is room for other failures.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
JUST WENT BY A REPAIR SHOP HAD MY TRUCK SCANNED NOTHING CAME OUT OTHER THAN THEY TELLING ME I NEED TO REPLACE MY CATALIC CONVERTER.HE SAID HE HAS TO SCAN THE TRUCK WHEN THE PROBLE IS PRESENT AND THERES NO TELLING WHEN ITS GOING TO FAIL I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO BYPASS THE PASSLOCK SYSTEM OR REMOVE IT ALL TOGETHER
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
I am wondering what type of scan tool was used to check this. As I mentioned you would need to be able to check body failures such as the theft system. The security indicator showing represnts that is a known problem to the system. Anyway to bypass the passlock sensor you will need to do the following.

You will need to buy a 2.2k ohm resistor at an electronics store. Locate three small wires at the lock cylinder. Cut the yellow wire and the orange/black. Solder the resistor between those wires. Tape up you connections reinstall the covers back on and follow the relearn procedure.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NOW WE ARE GETTING SOME WHERE.WHEN I CUT THESE WIRES WHAT SIDE OF THE WIRES DO I SOLDER TO THE RESISTOR ? DO I SOLDER THE RESISTOR TO THE YELLOW AND THE ORANG/BLACK GOING BACK DOWN THE COLUMN OR WHERE AND WHATS THE RELEARN PROCEDURE ? WILL THIS ELIMINATE THE SECURITY LIGHT DONT REALY MATTER I COULD LIVE WITH THAT LIGHT BEING ON.BY THE WAY I REALY APRECIATE YOU HANGIG ON WE ME TO HELP ME ELIMINATE MY PROBLEM
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

This is no problem at all. You will be soldering these on the vehicle side of the harness. This will elminate the passlock sensor in the column. This would eliminate the passlock sensor alone. If there is an issue aside of this sensor, this will not cure this problem. I cannot say I have seen this done with the passlock bypass either. As far as the relearn is concerned, here is how to do this.

• Turn the ignition to start and then release to on.
  • Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
  • Start the vehicle. At this point the relearn would be completed.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    ok im a little confused.IS MY TRUCK SUPPOSED TO STILL START AFTER I CUT THOSE WIRES ? I CUT THE WIRES ADDED THE RESISTOR AND WENT TO RELEARN THE SYSTEM BUT WHEN I WENT TO THE START POSITION THE ENGINE STARTED RIGHT AWAY IS THIS SUPOSE TO HAPPEN ? DO I CONTINUE WITH THE RELEARN STEPS OR WHAT ? WHATS THE PURPOSE OF RELEARNING IF THE TRUCK STARTS ANYWAY?
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
    Do you still have the security indicator? See this was my concern from the get go. You also have the passlock bypass installed which I am unsure of if this is going to cause any additional problems.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    YES THE SECURITY LIGHT IS STILL ON AND STAYS ON WHEN THE ENGINE IS ON.I NOTICED SOMETIMES IT TURNS OFF WHEN I DRIVE OFF AND ITLL STAY OFF WHILE IM DRIVING BUT MOST OF THE TIME ITS ON. THE BYPASS WAS ELIMINATED WHEN I ISTALLED THE RESISTOR SINCE I INSTALLED IT PASS THE BYPASS MODULE.FROM THE KEY SWITCH I CAN SEE THREE WIRES RED/WHITE YELLOW AND ORANGE/BLCK ONLY THE RED/WHITE IS STILL CONNECTED THE OTHER TWO ARE CUT AND IT STILL STARTS.