Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

My 2003 Chevy Trailblazer fan stays on after I remove the key

Customer Question

My 2003 Chevy Trailblazer fan stays on after I remove the key and also the brake lights do not work, the center one on top of the rear hatch does still work
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean the blower motor for the heater stays on? Have you checked the power from the brake switch on the brake pedal (orange wire)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the blower motor for the heater stays on. Also when I have the vehicle running, I can not change the blower speed and when I change the tempature the air changes where it is blower to, from defrost to vent to floor depending on what tempature I change it to. I will go and check the and see if I can find the brake swithc and the ornge wire and get back to you in a few minutes.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
#06-01-39-002C: Blower Motor Inoperative or May Not Shut Off in Extremely Low Ambient Temperature Conditions (Replace Blower Motor Control Module) - (Jan 18, 2008)

Subject:Blower Motor Inoperative or May Not Shut Off in Extremely Low Ambient Temperature Conditions (Replace Blower Motor Control Module)

Models:2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)
2003-2006 GMC Sierra Models, Yukon Models
2003-2007 GMC Envoy Models
2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)
2003-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
2003-2006 HUMMER H2 Models
with Automatic Temperature Control HVAC System (RPO CJ2)

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years that are affected and add the Oldsmobile Bravada. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-01-39-002B (Section 01 -- HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the blower motor is inoperative or continues to run after the vehicle has been shut off.

Cause

These conditions may be caused by a blower motor control module failure. This failure may occur when the vehicle is operated in ambient temperature conditions of -23°C (-10°F) or below.

Correction

Important: Replace the blower motor control module if the vehicle experienced a blower motor control module failure in extremely cold ambient temperature conditions.

Technicians are to replace the blower motor control module, also called the Linear Power Module (LPM), with the P/N listed below. Refer to either the Blower Motor Control Processor Replacement or Blower Motor Processor Replacement-Auxiliary procedures in SI. After replacement of the blower motor control module, the customer may notice a slightly higher than expected blower motor speed at any of the blower speed settings.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

89018849

Module Assembly, Auxiliary Blower Motor Control (Rear System on Escalade ESV, Suburban, Yukon XL)

1

89018964

Module, HTR & BLO & A/C CONT (Front system only vehicles - Except H2)

1

89023355

Module Assembly, Blower Motor Control (H2 Models)

1

89024926

Module Assembly, Auxiliary Heater & A/C Control (Rear System on Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe)

1

Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will I need to replace both of the blower modules for the Trailblazer. And which one listed above is for the Trailblazer.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Just the module for the main blower and have your local GM parts dept. look up the correct part. They probably stock them since this is a common failure on most GM trucks and SUVs.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are they an easy part to replace, can a back yard mechanic do this.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Yes, fairly easy. Here are the instructions.

Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Right Side

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 712812  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Remove the 2 screws that retain the insulator panel to the instrument panel (I/P).
  2. Partially remove the insulator panel.
  3. Remove the electrical connector retaining clip from the back side of the insulator panel, if equipped.
  4. Remove the insulator panel from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 712812  Size: SH
  1. Install the insulator panel to the vehicle, positioning the insulator panel to the I/P.
  2. Install the electrical connector retaining clip to the back side of the insulator panel, if equipped.
  3. Insert the insulator panel retaining tab into the cowl slot.
  4. Seat the insulator panel retaining clip to the I/P substrate.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the 2 insulator panel retaining screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

6. Blower Motor Control Processor Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the right closeout panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Right Side in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.
    2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the blower motor.
      Object Number: 759902  Size: SH
    3. Disconnect the electrical connector (3) from the blower motor control processor (1).
    4. Remove the blower motor control processor mounting screws (2).
    5. Remove the blower motor control processor (1).

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 759902  Size: SH
    1. Install the blower motor control processor (1).

2. Install the blower motor control processor mounting screws (2).

Tighten
      Tighten the screws to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

3. Connect the electrical connector (3) to the blower motor control processor (1).
    4. Connect the electrical connector to the blower motor.
    5. Install the right closeout panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Right Side in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.
Dan, Auto Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any help with my brake lights not working. I cannot reach the orange wire on the switch on the brake pedal to get a voltage reading. Can I check for voltage at the brake light itself.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dan,

When you get this, can you give me more info on my brakes.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Stop Lamps Inoperative

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Exterior Lights Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Lighting Systems Connector End Views

1

Did you review the Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation and perform the necessary inspections?

Go to Step 2

Go to Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation

2

Verify that the stop lamps are inoperative.

Do the stop lamps operate normally?

Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Go to Step 3

3

Is only one lamp inoperative?

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 5

4

Test the inoperative bulb, LED, or tail lamp printed circuit board for an open or poor terminal contact. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

Did you find a condition?

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 9

5

Connect a test lamp from ground to the supply voltage circuit terminal of the inoperative lamp socket or connector and apply the service brake. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 6

6

Remove the stop lamp switch and install a fused jumper between the stop lamp switch battery positive voltage circuit terminal and the stop lamp switch signal circuit terminal of the stop lamp switch connector.

Do the stop lamps illuminate?

Go to Step 11

Go to Step 8

7

Repair the open or high resistance in the ground circuit of the inoperative lamp. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 12

--

8

Repair the open, high resistance or short to ground in one of the following circuits. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Battery positive voltage
Stop lamp switch signal
Lamp supply voltage

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 12

--

9

Repair one of the following conditions. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

An open, high resistance or short to ground in the lamp supply voltage circuit.
An open or high resistance in the ground circuit.

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 12

--

10

Replace the inoperative bulb, high mounted stop lamp assembly, or tail lamp printed circuit. Refer to Tail Lamp Bulb Replacement , High Mount Stop Lamp Replacement , or Tail Lamp Circuit Board Replacement .

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 12

--

11

Replace the stop lamp switch. Refer to Stop Lamp Switch Replacement .

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 12

--

12

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 3

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do not completly understand, but will have to work on it.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, check it out and let me know if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here is what I have. At the tail light I checked the voltage of the rear head lights and had voltage, also to determine which wire is for brakes. I also did this to determine voltage for turn signal, and back up lights. All had voltage and worked, Brake lights no voltage at plug to rear lights. put OHM meter to check resistance, low resistance with bake off and same reading with brake on. Are they talking about replacing the stop lamp switch in step 11, The one that is attached to the brake pedal.