msarles1
msarles1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  20 Years of GM experience, Service Manager, Parts Manager, GM Master Tech, ASE Master Tech

2002 chevy malibu: theft system is not allowing it to start

I have a 2002 chevy malibu and I think the theft system is not allowing it to start. How can I fix this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  msarles1 replied 5 years ago.
does it blink while trying to start vehicle??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no the lite just stays on we tried to install a after market stereo but did not no it required a special wiring harness i have reinstalled the original stereo back to normal
Expert:  msarles1 replied 5 years ago.
does it crank over, start and then quit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it turns over but does not start
Expert:  msarles1 replied 5 years ago.
does the theft light blink while turning over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it stays on
Expert:  msarles1 replied 5 years ago.
ok then it sounds like the passlock sensor has gone bad, very very common on this vehicle. it is part of your ignition lock cylinder, it has to be replaced and reprogrammed to the vehicle. kinda complicated. i will be glad to give you instructions if you wish so.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes please the dealership does not reopen till after the first
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you please sent me instructions on how to fix this problem
Expert:  msarles1 replied 5 years ago.

here are the detailed instructions, just click on images to see them:

xTooltipElement Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help
2002 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN N) Service Manual | Body and Accessories | Wiring Systems | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 631220

Ignition and Start Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR
  3. With a small flat-bladed tool remove the trim ring from the ignition switch.
  4. Remove the accessory trim plate from the I/P carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement .
  5. Remove the upper trim cover from the steering column. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column.
  6. Remove the instrument cluster trim plate from the I/P carrier. Refer to Instrument Cluster Trim Panel Replacement .
  7. Remove the I/P cluster from the I/P carrier. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .
    Object Number: 743404  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  8. Remove the bolts from the ignition switch.
    Object Number: 749168  Size: SH
  9. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ignition switch.
  10. Insert the key into the ignition switch lock cylinder. Rotate the key to the ON position.
    Object Number: 762724  Size: SH
  11. Perform the following procedure if the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or will not rotate.
    11.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
    11.2. Locate the surface for the lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing. Center punch a location on the rib (1) approximately 3/8 inch rearward toward the key entry end from the cylinder release button.
    11.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8-inch drill bit.
    11.4. Using a 9/32-inch drill bit, carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the surface of the ignition switch lock cylinder to break the release button retaining spring .
    11.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
    11.6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing.
    11.7. Remove any plastic flashing from the drilling operation. Use compressed air to blow out the ignition switch assembly.
    11.8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder recoding is required. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.

Object Number: 749169  Size: SH
  12. Depress and release the transaxle park/lock cable retainer. Pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.
    Object Number: 749171  Size: SH
  13. Press the release plunger on the ignition switch lock cylinder. The release plunger is located at the four o'clock position on the ignition switch housing.
  14. Use the key in order to pull the lock cylinder from the ignition switch housing.
    Object Number: 743413  Size: SH
  15. Disconnect the pass key electrical connector from the ignition switch housing.
  16. Remove the ignition switch from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 743413  Size: SH

Important: If you replace the ignition lock cylinder, you must code the new cylinder. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding in General Information.

1. Install the ignition switch to the vehicle.
  2. Connect the pass key electrical connector to the ignition switch housing.
    Object Number: 749174  Size: SH
  3. Use the key in order to install the lock cylinder to the ignition switch housing.
  4. Perform the following procedure if you are installing a new ignition switch lock cylinder:
    4.1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON position.
    4.2. Push the lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.
    4.3. It may be necessary to slightly depress the release button as the cylinder passes by the 9/32-inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

Object Number: 749172  Size: SH
  5. Connect the park lock cable to the ignition switch housing.
  6. Connect the electrical connectors to the ignition switch.
    Object Number: 743404  Size: SH
  7. Install the ignition switch housing to the I/P carrier.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. Install the ignition switch bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

9. Install the I/P cluster to the IP carrier. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement .
  10. Install the I/P cluster trim plate to the IP carrier. Refer to Instrument Cluster Trim Panel Replacement .
  11. Install the upper trim cover to the steering column. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column.
  12. Install the accessory trim plate to the I/P carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement .
  13. Install the trim ring to the ignition switch.
  14. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR
  15. Connect the negative battery cable.
  16. Perform the Passlock learn procedure. Refer to Theft Systems Description and

here is how to program the system

2002 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN N) Service Manual | Body and Accessories | Theft Deterrent | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 709686

Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

Programming Replacement PasslockTM Sensor, BCM, or PCM

Important: Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.

All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn.

Important:

The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Body Control System.
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn passlockTM sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password XXXXX the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX upon receipt of a password XXXXX Once a password XXXXX is received, and a password XXXXX XXXXX a learn procedure must be performed to change this password XXXXX A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password XXXXX will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Conditions

Use this procedure after replacing any of the following:

PasslockTM Sensor
BCM
PCM

10 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed, history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

msarles1, Chevy Technician
Experience: 20 Years of GM experience, Service Manager, Parts Manager, GM Master Tech, ASE Master Tech