sldcountry
sldcountry, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  auto technology degree, ase certifications, gm certifications and training
10445064

2002 gmc sierra 2500 hd: a water pump..duramax diesel..diesel truck

Customer Question

trying to find out how to change a water pump on a 2002 gmc sierra 2500 hd duramax diesel truck
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sldcountry replied 5 years ago.

ok I am going to send you some instructions shortly straight out of a GM repair manual , must warn you though this is not typically a DIY project. But if you think you are up for it I will be more than happy to help

thanks,

scott

Water Pump Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the left front fender wheelhouse inner panel (1).
  2. Drain the engine coolant and the engine block.
  3. Remove the thermostat housing crossover.
  4. Remove the fan clutch.
  5. Remove the Crankshaft balancer.

1. Remove the water pump outlet pipe to water pump nuts.
  2. Remove the engine wiring harness retainer from the inner stud.

1. Remove the water pump bolts. Note the location of the bolts. The bolts are three different lengths.
  2. Remove the water pump assembly.
  3. Remove the water pump outlet pipe gasket.

Inspection and Repair Procedure

1. Remove the O-ring from the water pump.
  2. Remove the water pump to water pump housing bolts.
  3. Remove the water pump from the water pump housing.
  4. Remove the O-ring from the water pump housing.

1. Clean the water pump assembly.
  2. Clean the water pump mating surfaces.
  3. Inspect the water pump gear for damage.
  4. Inspect the water pump mating surfaces for damage.
  5. Inspect the water pump shaft for looseness.
  6. Inspect the water pump assembly for damage.
  7. Replace the water pump if any damage is found.

1. Install a new O-ring to the water pump housing.
  2. Lubricate the O-ring with engine coolant.
  3. Install the water pump to the water pump housing. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  4. Install the water pump to water pump housing bolts.
    • Tighten the water pump to water pump housing bolts to 21 Nm (15 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install a new O-ring to the water pump.

Installation Procedure

1. Lubricate the water pump O-ring with engine oil.
  2. Install the water pump. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the water pump bolts. Ensure the correct length bolt is used in the proper location.
    • Tighten the water pump bolts to 21 Nm (15 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the water pump to water pump outlet pipe gasket.
  2. Install the engine wiring harness retainer on the water pump outlet pipe inner stud.
  3. Install the water pump to water pump outlet pipe nuts.
    • Tighten the water pump to water pump outlet pipe nuts to 21 Nm (1 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the thermostat housing crossover.
  2. Install the Crankshaft balancer.
  3. Install the fan clutch.
  4. Fill the engine with coolant.
  5. Install the left front fender wheelhouse inner panel

also to do this repair you have to remove the balancer here are the removal instruction and specail tool required

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 401885  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Disconnect the battery negative cables. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  3. Remove the right front fender wheelhouse panel (1).
    Object Number: 660305  Size: SH
  4. Remove the starter motor and set aside. The wiring to the starter does not require removal.
    Object Number: 660308  Size: SH
  5. Install the J 44643 in the starter motor opening in order to hold the engine from turning.
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  7. Remove the upper and lower fan shroud. Refer to Engine Coolant Fan Upper Shroud Replacement and Engine Coolant Fan Lower Shroud Replacement in Engine Cooling.
    Object Number: 660310  Size: SH
  8. Remove a crankshaft balancer bolt.
  9. Remove the crankshaft balancer.

The balancer is a slip fit and should slide off.

10. Inspect the pin in the crankshaft for wear.

During removal if the balancer could be turned side to side the pin is worn.

11. Replace the pin in the crankshaft if worn.
  12. Clean the crankshaft balancer in suitable cleaning solvent and air dry.
    Object Number: 663134  Size: SH
  13. Inspect for cracking, belt drive surface damage, or other damage to the crankshaft balancer.
  14. Inspect the crankshaft balancer keyway for crankshaft pin wear.
  15. Replace the crankshaft balancer if damage is found

anything else I can do to help you ?

scott