Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

2000 Silverado 4wd w/5.3 Vortex engine. How do I remove the

2000 Silverado 4wd w/5.3 Vortex engine. How do I remove the oil pump pickup tube from the housing. I do not feel a bolt holding it in place.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Oil Pump, Screen and Crankshaft Oil Deflector Removal

Object Number: 260109  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Remove the oil pump screen bolt (4) and nuts (2).
  2. Remove the oil pump screen (1) with O-ring seal (3).
  3. Remove the O-ring seal from the pump screen.
  4. Discard the O-ring seal.
    Object Number: 260099  Size: SH
  5. Remove the remaining crankshaft oil deflector nuts.
  6. Remove the crankshaft oil deflector.
    Object Number: 64281  Size: SH
  7. Remove the oil pump bolts.

Important: Do not allow dirt or debris to enter the oil pump assembly, cap ends as necessary.

8. Remove the oil pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the screen and deflector you are talking about? The oil pum gear is mounted on the crankshaft and has a tube mounted to it going down into the oil pan. I am asking how this tube is mounted to the oil pump gear housing>
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

The oil pan must be removed to access that pickup tube from the oil pump.

Oil Pump, Screen, and Crankshaft Oil Deflector Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the engine front cover. Refer to Engine Front Cover Replacement .
  2. Remove the engine oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement .
    Object Number: 64281  Size: SH
  3. Remove the oil pump, the pump screen and the deflector. Refer to Oil Pump, Screen and Crankshaft Oil Deflector Removal .
  4. Clean and inspect all parts. Refer to Oil Pump Cleaning and Inspection .

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 64270  Size: SH
  1. Install the oil deflector, the pump screen and the oil pump. Refer to Oil Pump, Screen and Crankshaft Oil Deflector Installation
  2. Install the engine oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement .
  3. Install the engine front cover. Refer to Engine Front Cover Replacement .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Closer but neither picture showed the pick up tube. How is it attached to the housing? I see what looks like 2 bolt holes in the housing but I found no bolts in my holes.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Have you removed the oil pan yet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I was only going to replace the timing chain, gear and sprocket.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Here is what GM says to replace the timing chain and gears.

Engine Front Cover Replacement

Tools Required

J 41476 Front and Rear Cover Alignment (at crankshaft seal area)

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the water pump. Refer to Water Pump Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  2. Remove the crankshaft balancer from the crankshaft. Refer to Crankshaft Balancer Removal .
    Object Number: 64278  Size: SH
  3. Remove the engine front cover from the engine. Refer to Engine Front Cover Removal .
  4. Clean and inspect all parts. Refer to Engine Front Cover Cleaning and Inspection .

Installation Procedure

Important:

Do not reuse the crankshaft oil seal or front cover gasket.
Do not slide the front cover/gasket across the oil pan gasket.
The special tool in this procedure is used to properly align the crankshaft front oil seal.
The crankshaft front oil seal MUST be centered in relation to the crankshaft.
An improperly aligned front cover may cause premature front oil seal wear and/or engine assembly oil leaks.

Object Number: 64278  Size: SH
  1. Apply a 5 mm (0.20 in) bead of GM P/N 12378190 to the corner were the oil pan meets the engine block.
  2. Install the front cover, gasket and bolts on to the engine.
  3. Tighten the cover bolts finger tight. Do not overtighten.
    Object Number: 203658  Size: SH

Important: Align the tapered legs of the tool with the machined alignment surfaces on the front cover.

4. Align theJ 41476

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the crankshaft balancer bolt.

Tighten

1. Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt by hand until snug. Do not overtighten the bolt.
    2. Snug the oil pan-to-cover bolts in order to position the cover at the pan rail.
    3. Tighten the oil pan-to-front cover bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
    4. Tighten the front cover bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
  6. Remove J 41476 from the front cover.
  7. Install the front crankshaft oil seal. Refer to Crankshaft Front Cover Oil Seal Installation
  8. Install the crankshaft balancer to the crankshaft. Refer to Crankshaft Balancer Installation
  9. Install the water pump. Refer to Water Pump Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  10. Oil Pump, Screen, and Crankshaft Oil Deflector Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 64281  Size: SH

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 64270  Size: SH
    4. Camshaft Timing Chain and Sprocket Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
      2. Remove the oil pump. Refer to Oil Pump, Screen, and Crankshaft Oil Deflector Replacement .
      3. Rotate the crankshaft until the timing marks on the crankshaft and the camshaft sprockets are aligned.
        Object Number: 63263  Size: SH
      4. Remove the timing chain and sprocket. Refer to Timing Chain and Sprockets Removal .
      5. Clean and inspect all parts. Refer to Camshaft Timing Chain and Sprocket Cleaning and Inspection .

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 63263  Size: SH
      1. Install the timing chain and sprocket. Refer to Timing Chain and Sprockets Installation .
      2. Install the oil pump. Refer to Oil Pump, Screen, and Crankshaft Oil Deflector Replacement .
      3. Connect the negative battery cable.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified