Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

Just replaced abs sensor on a 2004 chevy colorado.how do i program?

Customer Question

just replaced abs sensor on a 2004 chevy colorado.how do i program?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

I am not sure exactly what part you are referring to.

Can you explaing what the problem was and where this component is?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
abs wheel sensors in the front it isXXXXXthe sensors are mounted to the bearings.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

abs light comes back on instantly when i drive.when i hook up snapon scanner under abs mode gives me one code left and right abs sensor not functioning. i was told it has to be reprogrammed.

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

There is no programming procedure that I am aware of when replacing wheel speed sensors.

Are you still getting some kind of error indication after this repair?

Have you tried to drive the vehicle since making this repair?

I ask this because of the following statements from the description of the system (from the service manual):

Power-up Self-Test

The electronic brake control module (EBCM) is able to detect many malfunctions whenever the ignition is ON. However, certain failures cannot be detected unless active diagnostic tests are performed on the components. Shorted solenoid coil or motor windings, for example, cannot be detected until the components are commanded ON by the EBCM. Therefore, a power-up self-test is required at the beginning of each ignition cycle to verify correct operation of components before the various control systems can be enabled. The EBCM performs the power-up self-test when the vehicle achieves a speed greater than 10 km/h (7 mph). The system relay, solenoids and the ABS pump motor are commanded ON and OFF to verify proper operation and the EBCM verifies the ability to return the system to base braking in the event of a failure. The power-up self-test may sometimes be heard by the driver or passengers of the vehicle.

ECE 13 Response

The ABS indicator illuminates when a malfunction which disables ABS is detected. Often, the ABS indicator turns OFF following the instrument panel cluster (IPC) bulb check during the next ignition cycle unless the fault is detected during that ignition cycle. However, the setting of certain DTCs may cause the ABS indicator to remain illuminated during the subsequent ignition cycle until the vehicle is operated at a speed greater than 10 km/h (7 mph) and no fault is detected. This is referred to as an ECE 13 response. It is important to verify that ECE 13 is not the cause of an ABS indicator which is illuminated when no DTCs are set, before attempting to diagnose other possible causes.

Do you have the EXACT codes you are getting back from the ABS system?

Thanks, XXXXX