Clayso
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.
9358908

95 chevy: I remove the power steering hose..v8..bolt

How do I remove the power steering hose from my 95 chevy silverado, 350/v8? I can't get to the bolt on the engine side.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to the wonderful world brought to you from GM. Are you after the pressure hose?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you a retired Navy Chief? I'm a 1st class, up for chief for 5th time this year... Should get it, been EP for past 4 yrs and SOY last year. Anyhow, I'm not sure which one it is, checking now...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I tell which one it is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is the hose which has a 'nut' on either end I can get ahold of.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. I never made Chief, I was a BT and the rate closed on me, so I decded to get married, ehh should have changed rate. This is how I get the pressure line from the back of the pump, cut the line, the steel part close to the pump from under the vehicle, boxed end 5/8 on the fitting and 15/16 on the fitting of the pump. where the line goes into the steering box long extension 18mm flared crows foot. This all sounds simple but it is a pain in the butt, you are about to learn some new cuss words, trust me I have been banging on vehicles and ships for 3 decades.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, I've got the hose off of the steering box already, and just so I better understand... Cut the line right next to the steel part and then I should be able to get to it from there? I've still got the other hose hooked up and that really seems to be what's blocking me. So, how do I go about putting the new hose back on? The same way?
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there, What you cut is the steel line(part of the old pressure line close to the pump) so you can use the boxed end of a wrench to remove the remainder of the line from the pump. Installation is a whole new book of cuss words. Connect the line to the pump first, you do not have to crank it down the o ring makes the seal then bend the hose around until you can thread it into the steering box. Be very careful not to cross thread this SOB or it will leak, then a lot of new words for the neighbors to hear.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got you, thanks a bunch for the help... Seems as though it really is going to be as you say... A real pain! Alright, have a great Christmas.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. The accept button is where the jingle comes in, I will still be here.
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.