tech364
tech364, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master certification, auto advanced level engine performance 7 yrs experience
13910010

1994 chevy truck: heater..blowing out cold air & temp gaugage went up

Customer Question

1994 chevy truck heater is blowing out cold air & temp gaugage went up
Category: Chevy
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
welcome lmonroe, which engine do you have? it sounds like you may have a stuck thermostat.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i crank up my 1994 pick up truck drove it aroung the block, the tempt was slowely going up, the heater blowing out cold air i know some is wrong, now the tempt guage all the way up

what do i do ?
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
which engine do you have?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have the 350engine 4x4 z71 silv. 1500
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
the first thing would be to check the coolant level if it is ok you will need to start the truck and let it warm up then check the top radiator hose and the heater core hoses to make sure they are warm, if they are cool you proabably have a thermostat stuck. if you need more info i will be glad to help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>i need more infor</p><p>could it br the heater cord</p>
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
if you warm the truck up and feel of the heater hoses going to the core and if they are cool you do not have any coolant getting to the core first check the coolant level and let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i went out in crank the truck them i felt the howe going to the radiator to the back of the in side truck, then i pull the radiator cap off it look empty like it need anti-freeze
what do i do now
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
refill with mix 50/50 antifreeze and water,check for leaks by letting the truck idle and see if you can see any antifreeze dripping from the bottom,you will not have heat without antifreeze let me know where the drip is and i will try to help find what it is leaking
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello

i started the truck up fill the radiator up with anti-fluid
but the two hose are still cold & still blowing out cold air
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
how much antifreeze did it take to fill it up, you may now have air in the system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not even a half of the gallon i purchase
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
ok that is not enough to get air in the system or affect the heater, with the lines cold and the engine at operating temp you have a thermostat stuck not letting coolant to the heater core, i would replace the thermostat fill with coolant. do you need info on how to replace thermostat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i can replace that
that quicker than the heater cord
i try it
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
i think this will solve yor problem, if you need anything else just let me know,be sure to bleed the coolnat system of air.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello
i'm back

i just install a themostat

let it run
still cold air
& service engine ligh come on
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
do you know how to get the codes from the computer, and does the top radiator hose get hot?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no dont know about any codes
no every thing still cold yes the top
Expert:  tech364 replied 6 years ago.
with a short jumper wire bridge a&b terminals of the aldl it is under the steering column a black connector mounted to the bottom of the knee bolster,i believe it is the top two terminals on the left side, turn the key on and the check engine light will flash the first flash/flashes is the first number in the code and the second flash/flashes is the second number the first code will be a 12 for diagnostics enabled it will flash code/codes and then a 12 at the end to let you know all the codes have been displayed. i dont think the code will have any effect on the heat but we can see what it is , how long since a radiator flush?