Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Both remotes for my 2003 chevy tahoe keyless entry stopped

Customer Question

Both remotes for my 2003 chevy tahoe keyless entry stopped working. I changed the battery in one, checked the fuses, replaced the lock/unlock relays. No success. Any suggestions
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Do the door locks work with the switches on the doors? If so, try reprogramming the remotes to the vehicle using the following procedure:

Important: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the PDM must be programmed in a single programming sequence. When using this program method, all previously programmed transmitters will be erased upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter.

The order in which the transmitters are programmed will determine its numbering position within the PDM memory. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. The number stamped on the transmitter case is for reference only; #2 can be programmed as #1, or vice versa. Additional unnumbered transmitters are also available.

1. Close all the vehicle doors.
  2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
  3. Press and hold the door unlock switch.
  4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
  5. Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
  6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
  7. Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters.
  8. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.
  9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The door locks do work with the switches on the doord and, as I said in my original question, I had already tried reprogramming the transmitter.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Have you had the transmitters tested? Your dealership parts department and some auto parts stores have testers that can check for RF output from the transmitters.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not had the transmitters tested, but I think it would be an awful big coincidence if they both went out at the same time.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
When performing the programming procedure, do the door locks cycle to confirm that it is in program mode?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
The keyless entry receiver is built into the passenger door module. In some instances the module will shut down, but you also lose function of the switches on the passenger door as well. Do the power window and lock switches on the front passenger door operate as they should?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The power window and door lock switches work on the passenger door as well as the driver door.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Attempt programming again, if the system still will not enter programming mode, the passenger door module is likely bad and will need to be replaced. The door module is part of the passenger door switch assembly.

Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One clarification to make sure I did this right to begin with. In your programming instructions, you say to " 3. press and hold the door unlock switch." You mean the unlock switch on the remote, not the one on the door, right?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
It is the one on the door.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again for your help. I think I can take it from here. Also, sorry about the confusion. The last time I programmed a remote, it was for a Ford (I used to work for Ford.) With them you held down the button on the remote-- at leasty back then (I'm 71.)
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.