Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician, 10 years experience, 60+ GM certificates, 150+ GM training courses

How do I change out my alternator on a 2003 Chevy Cavalier

Customer Question

How do I change out my alternator on a 2003 Chevy Cavalier? If there are any diagrams, it would be extremely helpful. It is a 4 cyl
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Butch replied 7 years ago.

Here is the procedure as outlined by GM. If you run into any problems, let me know and I will help guild you.

Generator Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the drive belt.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the generator.
    Object Number: 758471  Size: SH

4. Remove the generator bolts.
  5. Remove the generator.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 758471  Size: SH

1. Install the generator.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the generator bolts.

Tighten the generator bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

3. Connect the generator electrical connectors.

Tighten the generator electrical connector to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

4. Install the drive belt.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Connect the battery negative cable.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Butch, were the GM links included in your answer supposed to work? I have no access. Thanks!
Expert:  Butch replied 7 years ago.

No they won't work for you, but if tell me which ones you need I will gladly post them for you. Do you mean the pics?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the links for the pics worked fine (view full picture), I just thought maybe the GM links were something in addition to the pics
Expert:  Butch replied 7 years ago.
No, the links would just take you to that page. I don't know why they do that, it is a link to the page that you are already looking at. Are you having a problem with replacing it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Husband went to pick up the alternator, we found a used one for 35 plus core. A new one goes for 200, ouch, esp at Christmas.......sigh.........LOL. So hopefully, he can do it yet this afternoon.
Expert:  Butch replied 7 years ago.
I don't think you will have a problem doing it. Make sure you disconnect the battery first. Good luck, Merry Christmas!