Butch
Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician, 10 years experience, 60+ GM certificates, 150+ GM training courses
9803052

How do I replace the drivers side mirror on a 2002 Impala

How do I replace the driver's side mirror on a 2002 Impala?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Butch replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Is the mirror electric or manual?

Thanks,

Butch

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Electrical - non-heated.
I've ordered the entire replacement part ($58) so it I assume it should be easy enough for the electrical to click into place. I don't know where to begin with taking the old mirror off - I again assume once I can take it off the new one should go back on the "same" way.
Expert:  Butch replied 5 years ago.

You are correct. The mirror is easy, after you have removed the door panel. I am going to give you the GM procedure in 2 separate post. One for the door panel and one for the mirror. If you get stuck at some point let me know and I will be glad to help guild you. In the first step it tells you that you need a door trim pad clip remover. This is simply a thin flat pry tool that you stick between the door panel and the door, any kind of flat pry tool will work.

Butch

Tools Required

J 38778 Door Trim Pad Clip Remover

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 561680  Size: SH

1. Remove the trim bezel from the front door handle.
  2. Remove the front door pull cup.
  3. Remove the door trim panel screws from the pull cup support bracket.
  4. Disconnect and reposition the electrical connectors.
    Object Number: 459361  Size: SH

5. Remove the screw from the upper door trim panel.
    Object Number: 459386  Size: SH

6. Remove 2 screws from the door pull handle bracket.
  7. Remove the front door trim panel using J 38778 in order to disengage the fasteners from the door inner panel.
  8. Remove the upper door trim panel from the front door.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 459361  Size: SH
    Important: Before installing the front door trim panel to the front door inner panel, the old trim panel retainers MUST be discarded and replaced with NEW trim panel retainers.
  1. Install the upper door trim panel to the front door.
  2. Install the screw to the upper door trim panel.
    Object Number: 459386  Size: SH

3. Install the front door trim panel to the inner door panel.
  4. Install 2 screws to the door pull handle bracket.
    Object Number: 561680  Size: SH

5. Connect and position the electrical connectors to the pull cup.
  6. Install the front door pull cup.
  7. Install the trim bezel to the front door handle.
Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Certified Technician, 10 years experience, 60+ GM certificates, 150+ GM training courses
Expert:  Butch replied 5 years ago.
Power Mirror Replacement (Impala)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 459511  Size: SH

1. Remove the front door trim panel.
  2. Remove the inner panel outside rearview mirror insulator.
    Object Number: 459507  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the outside rearview mirror.
    Object Number: 459506  Size: SH

4. Remove the outside rearview mirror nuts.
  5. Remove the outside rearview mirror from the front door.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 459506  Size: SH

1. Install the outside rearview mirror to the front door.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the outside rearview mirror nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the outside rearview mirror nuts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 459507  Size: SH

3. Connect the electrical connector to the outside rearview mirror.
    Object Number: 459511  Size: SH

4. Install the inner panel outside rearview mirror insulator.
  5. Install the front door trim panel.
Butch, Master ASE Certified Technician