Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician

2003 Chevy Astro, Heater blower fan doesnt come on all the

2003 Chevy Astro, Heater blower fan doesnt come on all the time. If it comes on it stays on, but sometimes when you first start van, blower fan wont come on at all, then sometimes after awhile it will just start blowing
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, all speeds are inoperative

Yes, I have a volt meter

Yes it has rear air,was having same problem with rear blower but it just started working by itself

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Here are some test to do when its not working:
  • Tap on the blower motor case while the blower switch is on. If the blower motor brushes are going out it will come on sometimes. It if starts to work then, Replace the blower motor
  • Unplug the blower motor connector, Turn the blower on high, Check the(DC) voltage across the 2 wires that plugs into the blower motor. It should have above 11 volts. If it does and the blower motor doesn't work. Replace the blower motor.
  • If you don't have voltage there. Unplug the blower resistor, With the switch on high, you should have power on the orange wireterminal B. With the switch on M2 you should have power on the light blue wire. M1 you should have power to the Tan wire. Low you should have power on the Yellow wire. You should have power on the orange wire Terminal A at all times. Ground on the black wire.
If all checks out ok, Replace the blower resistor. If Not let me know and I can give more test to do.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The blower motor resistor is right under the blower motor under the hood.

If you don't under stand a step, Just ask
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a way to just test the blower resistor,because I dont know when the blower will stop working sometimes it works fine for days
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Intermittent blower problems like yours is either a blower motor bad or a loose connection or a loos of power on a fuse caused by an ignition switch. Blower resistors are normally not intermittent. Your problem sounds like a blower motor problem. The only way to tell for sure is when its acting up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the blower connector under also?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The Blower resistor has a connector that plugs into it and the resistor has 2 wires coming from it that goes to the blower motor.