ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

1995 camaro: wont start..ing modular, coils, cam sensor..crank sensor

Customer Question

we have a 1995 camaro 3.4 v-6 and it wont start. we have replaced ing modular, coils, cam sensor 1&2, and crank sensor. replaced both temp sensors. new sparks plugs. checked starter. checked fuel pressure and injectors. new fuses and battery and still wont start. any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Is there compression in the cylinders?

Pull a spark plug, and put your finger over the hole, while someone tries to crank it. The engine should easily make anough pressure to push your finger off the hole. If it doesn't.. bad news, you need a timing belt, and there could be bent valves in the engine.

Let me know what you find.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we have 80 pounds pressure. we have already changed the timing chain
Hmmm... 80 doesn't seem to be very good. The specification is 100 PSI.
What were circumstances when the car messed up on you?

There are some other things to check, though...
Got the firing order right?
graphic
Does it run if you spray starting fluid in it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
rechecked the psi (100) good. firing order is fine. the camaro doesnt want to start. no fire. pulled out 1 spark plug to see if it fires. no spark.. put it on the machine and it said dont read on the computer. it doesnt let the computer read the codes. what is the reluctor wheel? and also on tune ups it says to change the camshaft interrupter/esc module. where is this located??
OK!
Does the fuel pump hum for like 1-2 seconds when the key is first turned from off to the run position?

ALso the theft light.. Is there a theft light or alarm on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes we had 44 ponds pressure. (calls for 41- to 47). we are getting power to the ignition wire , but not out of the coils. and they are all three brand new. also a brand new ignition module also. had it tested at the store to make sure it was ok.
OK.. Good morning!
I see you have new coil pack, and still no start.. fuel pump is runniing, etc..

So, is there a theft light, or is the alarm on?

Can you read codes out of the computer by jumping the pins on the connector?
You need the 12 PIN connector to be able to do this.

What I'm getting at with the code thing, is there are 2 crank position sensors, and a cam position sensor. Each one is a hall effect sensor. To test them, you can backprobe the connector and attatch a sealed beam headlight to it, and while you crank the engine.. the light should flash. If it doesn't then you have a bad sensor. You would start with the one on front of the engine, then the one on eht side of the engine, and he cam sensor in the back of the engine on the engine block side transmission flange.. like righ behind a head. ACTUALLY the only way to 'test a hall effect sensor is to replace it, but.. it DOES send a pulsing signal back to the computer, and a headlight draws about as much power to run, as the rest of the system, so it is a fairly close 'simulation'.

When you find where the pulsing stops, you have found the bad component.

Another thing to check, still.. There is an oil level sensor in the pan, and sometimes the wires running to it, get messed up. It should come off a 2 wire connector on the coil pack, and run down to that sensor.. so you will want to look into that, also. I have seen these wires touch the exhaust and melt.. Causing problems like that, also.