ALLTECH, ASE Master and L1, Gm,VW,European
Experience:  15+ years wrenching as a living, a hobby into a well paying career.

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier: the headlights quit working..wiring harness

On my daughter's 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier, the headlights quit working after she added water to the windshield washer container. Water splashed over onto the wiring harness below. This is where two main cables (with 12 wires in them) connect together. The junction point started smoking and there is now broken wires.

Due to the high cost of replacing the harness ($1000 quote) I took out the bad section and spliced in new wires. After replacing burned out fuses, the lights still do not work. Is there a light relay that I can check or does the computer need to be reset?

Peoria Arizona
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ALLTECH replied 7 years ago.
Hello, Jason here to help. How are the bulbs? OK? All the fuses underhood and inside are good? No headlights whatsoever? if you pull the high beam lever, any lights?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The bulbs are good. The fuses burned out when water got on the wiring harness. The fuses have been replaced. No high beam or regular head lights.
Expert:  ALLTECH replied 7 years ago.
Under the battery tray is a common failure point, Connector 101 in GM terms. If the battery is leaking acid or you see corrosion on the battery tray, A good spot to start looking. The connector get corroded internally, or the wires themselves degrade and short or break due to close proximity to the battery. A common problem. The next common problem is the multifunction switch, headlight,turn,etc..., If no power at headlights, I look under battery first, then at switch. Hope this helps, Jason.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The connector was damaged under the battery tray. I by-passed it by splicing in new wires. The multifunction switch was working good before water got on the wiring harness/connector. Is there a light relay that I could check? Are the lights tied into the on board computor by chance?

Expert:  ALLTECH replied 7 years ago.
This is the wiring diagram. Check the HDLP circuit breaker and the connectors in the diagram. If the circuit breaker is bad, if the rig has power windows, you can swap if the same amperage. If its ok, then I would go right to the switch and test there. Jason